Mac OS X Built-In Output vs. Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC

Yes, music is playing and the DAC display shows MQA 352k.

Correct. When you select your S2 DAC Roon zone, donā€™t bother worrying at all with Audio MIDI.

You can play with Audio MIDI if you want general macOS sound (like Youtube etc) to play to your S2 DAC, but forget about it when playing Roon.

As above, donā€™t worry about Audio MIDI during Roon ā€˜Exclusive Modeā€™ playback.

ā€œMQAā€ displayed on your DACā€™s display is confirmation that playback is bit perfect.

Stress less, everything is blessed.

2 Likes

Ah, man. Really? Thatā€™s wonderful to hear!

Thank you so much for taking the time to help, Sean. I very much appreciate you sharing some insight!

1 Like

There is a minor bug with the S2 DAC with MQA playback - this is not limited to just Roon, itā€™s the DAC itself.

In ā€˜MQA decodeā€™ mode you might get some stuttering with MQA.

This bug completely disappears when you select ā€˜Rendering onlyā€™ in Roonā€™s MQA settings.

Then you will see ā€˜MQBā€™ on the DACā€™s display.

You can leave it as is right now if you like. If you get the stuttering, then do the above and you wonā€™t have any issues. In ā€˜MQBā€™ mode, Roon does the 1st MQA unfold and then the S2 DAC will do ā€˜the restā€™.

Duly noted. Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you for asking this question and thanks to all who answered.

As a Mac user it has been bugging me for quite awhile. Even more after acquiring the S2 Dac. I trusted the Roon signal chain report but watching the MIDI flip back and forth puzzled me.

Gonna enjoy a holiday weekend of Roon, Tidal, and MQA!

1 Like

Hereā€™s a final follow up summary for anyone arriving at this thread via forum search. I included a summary in the comments section of the youtube video. Thanks again Sean2016! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxkpGuaYFZY&feature=youtu.be

1 Like

No worries Brad. Is that some MAGNIFICAT I hear ya jamming to?

Thatā€™s a really great listen. Rock on.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.