Maximizing Audio Quality

That’s not true. There is plenty of high resolution music on Amazon.

There are plenty ONLY if you stick with the most popular artists. I primarily listen to the lesser known artists: plenty of blues, folk, world, jazz (with a Roon library over 920,000 tracks), and even one as famous as Willie Dixon or Duke Ellington have no more than 10% of their albums in HD. And going through many artists, I was surprised how many were less than CD quality (Amazon calls it “standard” resolution). Amazon has more of the less popular albums (US released, anyway) than Qobuz, but for what I listen to mostly, Qobuz has a significantly higher percentage in Hi Res, and none less than CD. Obviously, you and I have different priorities in what we listen to. The main thing is for you to do it all your way without being hassled about it, and I doing it my way without being hassled. There’s no right way, no wrong way, just your way and my way, and what’s available to us on Amazon (or Qobuz, or Tidal, etc.) is determined by our listening preferences.

1 Like

And how much money we want to spend on streaming and associated hardware.

Well, a change of plan. I paid $119 for one year of Roon and reinstated my Tidal and Qobuz subscriptions. I’ll wait until my free Amazon subscription expires in December to decide what to drop and what to keep.

The $119 is now sunk money, so it’s not a factor in my decision going forward.

1 Like

2 Likes

Good decision! Just a thought: once you pay for Lifetime Roon subscription, it will be sunk money, and no longer a factor in all your future decisions. For life!

2 Likes

Who says you have to have one source?

Depending on where I am playing to I can often have a choice of 4 control apps and 2 servers

Mix and match it’s all music after all

1 Like

I’m in the same boat. Glad I had a spare Windows laptop laying around to serve as a Roon core during the Catalina iOS mess.

I bet you are ENTP on myers briggs :slight_smile:

Pretty much.

1 Like

Me too, I can see our type a mile away lol

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Hi Res on Android Shield TV

I think I’m a little jealous of the Sopras with the Edge. I have the CX stuff connected to Vandersteen Model One’s and they sound great. The Edge’s and the Sopras I am sure are AWESOME!

I love them. The Edge is simple, clean, and beautiful to look at. It powers the Sopras with ease (I have the Edge W and the NQ). The sound exceeds (by far) my previous system. I used to have Focal Chorus 806-V (including a sub) paired with a Cambridge Audio pre and power amp. I had an external DAC magic and an Olive 4 transit. It was a ‘giant killer’ and I frequently went and tested other high-end systems but couldn’t justify the price difference for the sound. There are several high-end systems that I didn’t even like. Something about flavour and tone.

And then I heard the Sopras. And I was blown away. And then Cambridge Audio came out with the Edge and that was it…

The CX is a step or two above my previous system and it looks great. :sunglasses: If you get a chance to test drive the Edge, I’d be fascinated to know whether you were able to hear the difference. And what you thought.

Where I live there is not a dealer to test drive the Edge nor the Sopra’s. I long for the old days of the boutique stereo shops. In the late 80’s early 90’s there were three or four locally I frequented.

In my work office I have the CX80, CXN, and CXC ( got all three on closeout/open box for under $1300 for the set) with the Vandersteen’s (I bought these in 1998). It really is to much stereo for my office but who cares. I find the Cambridge gear to be attractive, well built, and great sounding. Just very impressed with it.

To be on topic a little, I run ROON at home and love it. I happened on this thread as I was having some Qobuz and Tidal streaming issues one night. It is working fine now. The only thing I can think of was locally the internet was having issues or my kid and/or wife were doing some high intensive streaming at the same time. I have a very high speed connection and it was testing fine.