MicroRendu, UltraRendu or Other

LOL. The Sonore/Small Green Computer products are probably among the most affordable, reliable and well supported of any non-DIY components of this genre. They also sound extremely good compared to other lesser products. I am not a “Sonore Fan-Boy” but their products serve my purpose for the current time, I don’t feel the need to find a more costly solution. Have you compared Sonore to dCS or Lumin (just as a cost comparison) as a Roon Ready endpoint? I’m glad that you have found a solution that works best for you but I think you are being unfair to Sonore with your “theoretical” criticisms. Each person needs to make up their own mind.

1 Like

I don’t criticize Sonore.
I heard very good stuff about their products.
There is just a question about future support I have.
I am not interested in DCS, Lumin etc…or Apple.
Spending $1300 is spending $$$$, in my universe.

I understand & appreciate that, affordability is relative & I would not dream of telling you what to purchase. There are no 100% guarantees in this world but l think Sonore is a relatively safe bet, however another route may work better for you.

BTW, intended or not, your posts sound highly critical of Sonore.

1 Like

I don’t intend to be critical of Sonore.
I am interested in their products and inquire about their future support because I depend on their software if I buy and I would hate to trash $$$$. That is my only motivation here.
Affordability is not an issue.

Thank you for this one. Made my day.

1 Like

Throw away our gear…no. The Sonic Orbiter SE was simply discontinue after the Rendu series was launched. Those units are running software version 2.3 which is still available and still works with Roon.

1 Like

The huge advantage of Sonore Products for me:
1.: UPnP streaming using Audirvana in combination with High Res Audio.
2.: HQPlayer
3.: Roon

all in one package. Looks like there is no other product which offers that combo.

I’m building up a system similar to your and have a question. Did you try to compare the SQ between ultraRendu and Airplay? I’ve heard Hegel built their own streaming Airplay, which is good. So by connecting Hegel directly to switch and steaming via Airplay, will the SQ be similar to the ultraRendu setup?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum @Thang_Bui. Hegel’s Airplay implementation is undeniably good, but limited to close enough CD quality. The sound quality via Ultra Rendu is certainly better than Airplay.

1 Like

Thank you for the response. I’m very new to all this. Can you give some hint / keywords for me to research further on why is that so?

I don’t really have the technical knowledge to do that. The ultraRendu in my system sounds fantastic and has worked flawlessly. @Jesus_Rodriguez is the founder of Sonore and frequents these forums - I’m sure he can explain the technical stuff.

Airplay is okay for causal listening, but as noted it is limited to 44.1k and has the source as the clock master for streaming which is not the best practice for sound quality. The other output protocols on the Rendu series support more formats, higher sample rates, and have the receiver as the clock master for the stream which is best practice for sound quality.

I just got an ultra Rendu. I love it. Question - is there any possible burn-in time with the UR? It sounds great but I’m just curious.

Thanks!

1 Like

I didn’t notice any significant difference over time that can be associated with burn-in of the uR, so in my experience no.

Thanks Rockhound.

Couldn’t agree more. miklats posts are critical of Sonore. An operating system, as an example, often has a publicly available EOL chart. It is a far different industry. Show me an EOL chart for audio manufacturer’s that you are asking Sonore to provide you.

Sorry but if you don’t own the hardware you have no reason to discuss which for you is a statement made with no experience. Start your own thread state your own opinion. The person who started this thread asked for suggestions not a flame war.

As for the Allo gear I have found ownership very lacking in support. What version of Dietpi does one have to run to use the original USBridge? Does Dietpi run with the new USBridge Sig yet or still using an older version? Whichever version not knowing whether you need version 1 nic drivers or version 2? Personally sold that rig and am now here. Was not Roon ready in my opinion. Did sell it too a person who did not use Roon and he seems fine.

Do love my Allo DigiOne sig but have noticed lately once or twice a day it looses sync to my Bryston BDA-3. Have tried both BNC and Analog SPDIF. Switching DigiOne sig to USB output from Pi4 it’s attached to (getting clean power) solves that, but loose something in sound quality…
From Allo I get we are compatible with most DAC’s if you can’t work with a 3500 dac…

My 4 year old video card still gets driver updates but really it has become too slow, so buy new one and pass this on to family who don’t have as steep a requirement. So if software support is 4 years I am good with that chances are the hardware will move along by then.