Minidsp SHD Uncertified Roon Endpoint (RAAT)

Thanks! It’s a real help to clarify this. Much appreciated! Another thread I stumbled across shared similar sentiments: https://www.minidsp.com/forum/dirac-series-support/12352-internal-operating-sample-rate-96-or-48-khz

If volume control isn’t working in roon, I would guess you haven’t updated to 1.15 firmware. Volume control works great. You would need to log in to your minidsp login to download and install the latest firmware.

Mine says 1.052 is the latest software. Wonder why.

It is a confusing… but there are 2 parts …
-Volumio version-1.052. That is what you are seeing and can be updated via the volumio web interface.
-Firmware-You can see what version you are on with the minidsp program installed on your pc. To upgrade your firmware to get you volume control you have to log into your minidsp account and under user downloads and install it. This is what will give you volume control

Thanks. I have a Mac but I should be able to figure it out!

I did the upgrade to 1.15 yesterday. Basically backup your configs(in SHD, File/Save), delete the SHD app and all files, then set up the SHD same steps as initially.

The volume slider working in Roon is AWESOME!

How can we find out when the miniDSP SHD will be certified by Roon?

I don’t think they ever comment on that. However, I have been roon with it and have never had any issues, so not sure if it matters or not.

Thanks Daren. Using it too and agree it’s working fine. I still would like the right device logo…

1 Like

I meant Darin…

It’s there any information about implementing HQPlayer NAA protocol to SHD (Studio)? This is a pain point for me on my decision to switch from DDRC-24 to SHD Studio.

I am getting some small hiccups through the SHD when streaming from Roon to Volumio as endpoint. Sounds like SRC/clock mismatches. When I resample to 96 in Roon, it gets worse. When I don’t, it only happens once in a while - maybe once per song.

It does not happen when streaming to the SHD over USB.

Anyone experience this? I suspect it may be the Mac running Core…

System:
Mac mini (2010) i7, 16 GB ram, as Core
Wired network to the SHD.
Latest firmware and software on everything.

I don’t think they have completed the certification yet: 3 weeks ago Volumio released a new version of the software (1.061) and on minidsp site one can read:
"New Volumio build 1.061 is now available online under the Volumio webGUI

- Fixing 32bit support for beta roon
…"

BTW I just setup my new minidsp SHD Studio (in a 2.2 setup) with Roon RAAT activated in Volumio. As others already mentioned, it is working fine with DSP volume/volume sliders and it is able to transmit audio as 24/192 from Roon server to minidsp (of course minidsp will downsample to 24/96 for its own processing).
In the Roon audio settings, the minidsp is neither displayed as “Roon Ready” nor “Roon Tested” but simply as “Roon”. I guess this reflects the fact that it is still beta.

What is even the point of sending 192 to it in the first place then? Why not tell Roon the max the miniDSP supports is 96k and let Roon do the downsampling?

Matching sample rates does not necessarily eliminate sample rate conversion downstream. That is an assumption but not a given. The SHD Studio very may well utilize asynchronous sample rate conversion, resampling all incoming audio to 96 kHz, regardless of input sample rate.

AJ

I just set it up today and left most settings as default: Roon then detects that the minidsp is able to accept 192khz on its input and send everything in 192khz. I can of course configure Roon to send directly 96khz… but I had no time to test that yet. I have a 2+2 setup, many things to test (cross-overs, room correction…). It will keep me busy for a while.

I am still discovering the minidsp SHD and I must say that Volumio can be a bit confusing: there are actually two locations related to Roon (I think someone mentioned it above but I got trapped anyway).

1. in the “My Music” tab, there is a “Roon Ready” setting that can be activated.
  2. in the “Plugin” tab, there is a “Roon Bridge plugin” that can be installed and activated.

I initially enabled the plugin, it was working but as mentioned above it was seen as a “Roon” device (not Roon Ready) and it seems to be a user “development”.

I have now activated the Roon Ready setting in the My Music tab and it correctly shows as “Roon Ready - uncertified”. Working fine as well.

May I ask if your subs are REL subs connected via high level or another brand?

My subs are JL Audio Fathom F113.
minidsp digital out -> SMSL DAC -> subwoofer