Missing composition property: Cat Power Sings Dylan: The 1966 Royal Albert Hall Concert. Example for a very common problem

Sure, but it is now the canonical name of the Dylan album/concert. And Cat Power could not have set her cover concert in Manchester’s Free Trade Hall because it was demolished.

Yes. And her covers are terrific.

1 Like

@joel you are a hero. It’s too early to say how many affected tracks might remain (and a considerable number still do at this moment), but it surely looks like composition properties are trickling in. I’ll have to look more closely and keep watching. (Luckily I had to create track tags for the ones that annoyed me most :wink: ) For remaining ones, if any, do you want a new thread?

2 Likes

In this particular case, please would you list them here, as you find them?

1 Like

In hopes of seeing a resolution to this problem and not wanting to start another thread (unless that’s preferable, just LMK), I’ll report here that I have this problem in droves. I consistently find albums in which the songs don’t have the composition property, and this has been the case since I started using Roon more than a few years ago. The large number of albums with this problem in my library has always led me to assume it was a deeper problem. I love being able to see the different versions of a given song I have. With jazz tunes, I often go to the composition and play the different versions to see how different people interpret the tune. It’s always disappointing when Roon doesn’t make the connection because of this problem.

Here is an example: John Cale, Sabotage Live.
This is a local rip of a CD from my library.
I made minor edits to the content, such as adding missing composer credits.
Roon identified the album.

Three tracks have the composition property and show both the local library and global icons for the different instances of the composition. The other six do not have the property and lack the “go to composition” option in the context menu.

The Album Editor seems to differentiate between tracks that are “recordings” (which seem to equate to “compositions”) and tracks that are … something that isn’t a composition.

Here’s another example: Thelonious Monk and John Coltrane: The Complete Riverside Recordings (Craft box set from 2006)
This is a local hi-res download.
I made minor edits to the content, such as adding missing composer credits and changing the original release date to match the recording date.
Roon identified the album.

Eighteen tracks have the composition property and show both the local library and global icons for the different instances of the composition. The other two do not have the property and lack the “go to composition” option in the context menu. The Album Editor shows 20 tracks and 18 recordings.

I could provide many more examples, and I will happily provide others if that’s helpful. And as I said earlier, if you would prefer a different thread, I will do that as well.

Thanks for your help.

1 Like

Exactly as @Jamie_Lewis wrote.

I suppose the results of @joel‘s fix should by now have been pulled into my library. I have now checked many of the tracks I tagged in the past with my „missing composition“ tag, and a range of other albums.

Result overview:

• Some of the tagged tracks are now a composition, but I don’t know if this is a recent change that’s related to @joel‘s fix.
  • There’s mountains of tracks still affected. These are albums in my library and outside, all are identified, most are available on streaming but some I only have locally.
  • I didn’t find any others that get the property when I add them to the library in the same as the Giant Sand - Purge & Slouch that I mentioned above. But obviously didn’t check them all. (Edit: The P&S has stopped doing this as well. See two posts down)
  • I find affected tracks all over the place but for some reason my second-favorite band, Giant Sand, and their frontman, Howe Gelb, seem most affected. I have about 60 albums by them and several side projects in my library. They all seem affected to various degrees, but usually very much. The GS/Gelb catalog contains lots of re-recordings of their songs on various albums with different line-ups. No idea if this is significant.

As there seems to be an endless supply of examples, I guess we can just start with some, and see what @joel finds out about them, and if fixes for them also fix others. @joel, if there is anything else we can do that helps you more, let me know.

So here are two, I chose different artists with different degrees:

Giant Sand - Glum

I have this in my library locally and from Qobuz. The Tidal is in Versions but not in the library. They all show the same symptoms and all tracks have composers. Screenshots are from Tidal because this one is completely unedited. The local one is heavily edited.

The album:

Out of 17 tracks, just 2 are compositions.

This is from the in-library Qobuz:

Sonic Youth - Dirty

There are many versions of this in Tidal and Qobuz. 2 of these are in my library, plus 1 local version. Issue the same for all.

All tracks have composers.
All except one are a composition.
Among the compositions, all have other recordings except track 5, Shoot.
Not a composition is track 13, Stalker.

Screenshots of one Qobuz version that is not on library:

I also will add right now, in case it is helpful to @joel, that in another current thread @cpachris found out that local tracks that don’t have a „Go to Composition“ in the menu and DO NOT get one by adding a composer credit in Roon nevertheless DO get one by adding a Composer file tag:

@cpachris said he will give examples here in this thread after getting a better overview.

Another update for the Purge & Slouch album from here: Missing composition property: Cat Power Sings Dylan: The 1966 Royal Albert Hall Concert. Example for a very common problem - #20 by Suedkiez

The Qobuz version that is NOT in library now has compositions for tracks 6 and 12, but the other tracks still do not. Adding this version to the library now does NOT change the composition status of the tracks anymore.

The local version of this album is unchanged, all tracks are still compositions.

1 Like

Thanks for staying on the case @Suedkiez … and I look forward to seeing what @cpachris finds. I had wondered if that would work and have tried it … to no avail. (I have been using the MusicBrainz Picard tagger.) I have also found at least one instance of an album with tracks that had the composer tag when I originally imported it into Roon that still lack the composition property. The mystery deepens.

1 Like

About the SY Dirty album: I realize now that I didn’t look closely enough at the various versions:

• Not all of them contain the Stalker track, but on those that do, it is never a composition (even if all other tracks on the version are)
  • The 35 track Deluxe Edition has a bunch of additional tracks in addition to Stalker that aren’t compositions

@joel is there still an intent to fix this? I just found that some time after this update regarding Giant Sand, Purge & Slouch,

… it got WORSE. Now, all of the tracks of the local album have ALSO LOST their composition property, except tracks 6 and 12 (i.e. the local version is now as broken as the Qobuz version)…

The remaining track 2 issue on the Cat Power album has stayed unfixed but the rest is still ok.

Comparing my other old reports, noting changed as far as I see