Mobile Use: Roon 1.8/2.0 via VPN vs. Roon Arc

Yes, but with how often Roon releases new updates now plus the daily changes to your lib this isn’t entirely practical. You’d be starting over from your image. I, basically, do this using something called a “snapshot”. It more of a disaster recovery tool if an update goes seriously bad as I’m not 100% sure reliable the snapshot would be. But having the ability to generate snapshots is a lot faster than creating an entire disk image.

It really depends on the VPN. A VPN like Tailscale has NAT pinhole punching baked in. A Tailscale VPN can happily live behind your firewall / NAT and there is no issue connecting to it. If you were to role your own, use IPSEC, or SSL then more work is involved. Some VPN technologies simply won’t work behind NAT at all because the hashes use to exchange keys are generated by the local IP and compared to the source IP. That type of VPN is a bit dated but I still see them out in the wild and people having issues trying to put them behind a NAT.

1 Like

Yeah, not getting very far with this. Attempted alternative methods but as you say a VPN such as Tailscale didn’t work. Well, worked as in connecting from outside the network but Roon didn’t seem to work. Might have been due to poor signal strength when testing. Today, excellent mobile signal.

My current method with my UDR works very well.

Edit
I have found WireGuard VPN works well. I have Ubuntu Server running with Roon server and Wireguard Server running on the same machine. I’ve been playing via my wired endpoints, several airplay devices and also to my iPhone (WiFi off) and VPN on playing simultaneously without issue. Using htop I can observe CPU and RAM use. The core is hardly breaking a sweat.

Yes, port forwarding is required for this, as it is needed for Arc. However, this allows a single app to be used if offline content isn’t required on my phone and remote from my Core

@Menzies Ok Lewis, as I have been unsuccessfully tinkering around a lot with ROON Arc to work in connection with my setup (Roon Nucleus+ as Core, Vodafone Germany as ISP, static IPv4) to get port forwarding to work here in Germany - an issue which ROOn tries to solve now since October 2022 approximately- I wonder whether you could create a post as to what (software/hardware) is needed, if I want to setup a connection with my Iphone outside my home trying to connect to my ROON Nucleus + Core. Of course - as I am not a complete network professional ( otherwise I would not have switched from my Mac Mini as Roon Core to Nucleus+ as Roon Core for example) and I have difficulties in setting up port forwarding - a “cook book” as to how configure the VPN using a FritzBox 6591 for example would be very much appreciated…) Thanks, M

I would have sworn it didn’t work before, but since ARC launched, I can use ROON companion app perfectly on my iphone connected to home network using de VPN that my ASUS router offers me.

Before ARC it would connect to the core, but wouldn’t play/find my iphone as an endpoint, but now it works just fine.

Great work to refresh library, use convolution filters, etc!