MOCK - Tell us what strange gear you've installed ROCK on!

If you can’t find any other way to turn the power light off a bit of masking tape works wonders.

Ive used Kapton tape with one or more layers - a yellow colour for a change - my SFF case has white LEDs…blue painters tape works well too. If you cut it nicely into small squares its not too intrusive.

I am glad someone else has found this little gem!

1 Like

It’s also the on switch so it’s a no go and the light comes through the top of the ventilation holes on top. Might have to put up with it.

maybe can disconnect the LED inside? or maybe manage in the Bios settings like the Intel NUC can do

1 Like

I’m running Rock on an AMD machine.
Pretty cool!

As indicated on another thread - I picked up a refurbed corporate PC, HP Elite 8300 i5-3470 3.2ghz 4gb, stuck in a 120gb Crucial SSD all for under £100

As of a few moments ago I have ROCK running and both my OSX formatted USB drives visible

7k+ albums and it’s as fast or better than the iMac I’m freeing the Core from - another £10 will double the RAM so I might try that when feeling rich :slight_smile:

1 Like

OK, so my MOCK build (detailed earlier in the thread) is pretty much complete. I have pretty much enhanced it as far as it will go. The result? I am grinning from ear to ear.
ASRock H310M-ITX/ac
i7 8700
2x4gb Corsair Vengence LPX
Intel 600/660P
Streamcom Nano PSU (160W)
Streamcom FC80 D case
DVD ROM
HDPlex 200w LPSU
JCAT net Femto
2gb Samsung SSD

Now obviously you will see stuff there it is quite easy to argue simply isn’t necessary for a networked core. But the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. I am very happy with the results and have learned a lot in the process.

3 Likes

I believe it’s “Streacom.” (I have one of their cases for a fanless system.)

Hi everyone,

Trying to install ROCK on an AM2 mobo (GA-AM1M-S2H) Not having luck with it seeing the image on the USB drive. Anyone have experience with AM2 from a few years ago. I’m thinking it’s a BIOS Legacy/UEFI setting.

Cheers,

Greg

You need the bios set to legacy and have USB set to legacy as well. Then see if that will include the drive in your boot menu. If all fails going back to default settings may be your best option.

I’ve just had an eBay moment and bought the NUC below. Any ideas if I can use ROCK as an endpoint only on this?

NUC DN2820FYKH 4GB 120GB SSD Windows 10

Should be able to. I think someone else has tried it - it’s certainly been talked about in the forum at some point.

It was £50 so worth a punt :slight_smile:

I’ve got this one works brilliantly as an endpoint, Intel® NUC Kit DE3815TYKHE, completely silent too as it’s fanless.

I use a DN2820FYKH as a core. Works fine for me.

Just FYI, I needed to connect a USB keyboard as the laptop keyboard wasn’t functional when bootingfrom the flashdrive. Other than that, no issues, I’m listening to it now.

A nuc is probably more elegant, but Windows was refusing to boot, so after a bit of unsuccessful cajoling I sent the MS filesystem packing and successfully installed ROCK. It’s possible that the drive is not SSD…

2 Likes

This is classed as a MOCK…perhaps it will be moved to #tinkering

Thanks, noob, happy to be schooled.

ROCK … can run on a lot of platforms with simple intel supported chipsets (maybe others too) and non supported platforms get called affectionately MOCK by the folks here who run them. I have a couple I use as endpoints…one on a very slow and silent Intel D510MO setup as I had it for many years like the idea of playing with something using native Roon endpoint that was more powerful than a RPi to see if there was any difference…None that I can hear. YMMV

1 Like