MOCK - Tell us what strange gear you've installed ROCK on!

That is interesting because I’ve always thought the Gigabyte products didn’t have a legacy boot mode. You may be the only person to have got ROCK on to a BRIX!

Really? I think others got ROCK on Brix… maybe they can show up here.

I activated a legacy option in the BIOS instead of UEFI. But couldnt boot from the pen… I thougt it was because the 2 SSD drives that i had inside (one m.2 and one sata) were not empty. So i created a usb with gparted to erase the sata one. To my surprise, when i hit F12 the option to boot from the ROCK pen without UEFI showed up. From there was just say yes and enter… everything is working
with no issues.

P.S. And i had to unplug the DAC to.

Just completed an extensive listening test between the amd 5600g streacom system and a nucleus+. It only lasted 2 minutes. The amd was more organic (less digital) with a more expansive sound stage.

1 Like

Just completed an extensive listening test between the amd 5600g streacom system and a nucleus+. It only needed to last 2 minutes. The amd was more organic (less digital) with a more expansive sound stage.

Still could not get multichannel out using hdmi. Tried USB c cable and still no luck. Will keep you posted if there are any changes.

Also looking at replacing the 3.5" seagate ironwolf 8tb drive with a SSD Samsung 870 QVO MZ-77Q8T0BW 8tb.

1 Like

Out of interest, what do you mean by ‘less digital’? Isn’t the purpose of both machines entirely devoted to sending digital data across a network?

2 Likes

We found the intel to have a more clinical sound lacking the atmosphere of the more analogue like sound of the AMD Ryzen chip. The Ryzen was more natural and closer to a live listening.

1 Like

@DaveN I have that very same cpu powering my truenas frankenmonster home built NAS, including a Debian VM for my roon server, can confirm it works 100% in the digital realm and plays no part in the sound quality of my music.

Very good cpu though.

3 Likes

What is this majicks you speak of?

Interesting, but I’m puzzled as to what might be causing the difference as both will send exactly the same data to your DAC. Do you have any theories as to why they’re different?

3 Likes

Are you saying that the CPU is making a difference in what you hear?

yes, although you should also take into account the mobo and supporting components. We initially used an Intel i5 8600 and ASUS H310i mobo in a streacom FC5 case. We then swapped this out for an AMD 5600g and gigabyte B550i Auros Pro AX. There was a noticeable improvement in sound with the 5600g. I have another friend who, although using Daphile, swapped the same streacom intel build for a PC with gigabyte B550 Master mobo and AMD 8600x cpu. Again there was a nocticable improvement in sound.

Hush now.

I wait with baited breath, as you explain that you are connecting your PC through the cases headphone out to the in of the speaker on your microwave oven.

Hello
Do you have a list of network chipsets supported by Rock ? My embeded NUC Gigabit LAN has gone so I temporarily use random USB-C adapter. But I’m thinking about some improvement on network side with final USB-C network adapter.

First idea is 2.5G USB-C network adapter based on Realtek RTL8156 plus 2,.5G network Isolator MI 2005 and 2.5G capable switch. I know that’s overkill :wink:

Second idea is separation based on fiber connection and SFP based USB-C 1G RTL8153 adapter and switch with SFP port.

Any opinion abut this options ? Does it make sense in Rock ?

PS. I’m using Cirrus 7 case with NUC8i7BEB inside. Beware on very stiff audiophile LAN cables, it can be more durable then LAN connector inside NUC :wink:

I don’t think the usb-c port on rock will work with a network, not sure if it even would sat all with hdd either.

Interesting thought re the SFP to usb tho…might look into that for my MOCK/ROCK or even my Win10 core

Thanks and sorry for the slow reply. Been heads down on work.

Good idea about the switch. I’ll try that. If it’s the problem, then I’m going to have to replumb the whole thing, as the Google Nest only has one ethernet port and other things need to run through the switch (Xbox / Powerline etc). I could upgrade the switch also (current one is very basic). I also notice that the wireless interface is enabled on my MOCK, so I’m tempted to try that :slight_smile:

I’ve got some spare RAM (another 4gb) which I will try as well. Will report back!

I used a DLink USB 3 to ethernet adapter on the Gigabyte B550i mobo and it worked. Should work on Intel boards also.

Forgive the double negative but it can’t not work! With USB the only consideration is USB3 and an OS that recognises the device.

Well roon rock didn’t recognize the HDMI port on the b550i.

I found the Ryzen to be much more dynamic and clearer with excellent imaging - but on the windows install… it had a slightly unnatural sheen to the high frequencies…this might be due to my LPS or windows (with all the zillions of process going on in the backgorund) … I am going to change the caps in the LPS … this may improve matters going to use Elna Silmic II.

Did ethernet work ok…?