Moved from core on NAS to ROCK on NUC and need some advice

OK @Suedkiez this is news to me…so when Roon spends all that time to analyze the dynamic range, etc., of my local files, that data is not stored in the Roon database? Where is it stored?

Sure, once it’s done I suppose it’s stored in the DB.

It seems that I misunderstood the question,

I was assuming that if I do it right, there will be no audio analysis necessary because it’s already been done? Audio analysis data is part of the roon database metadata right?

I thought this was about initial analysis, which has to be done once for local files (while volume leveling data exists automatically for streaming files).

But I realize now that the question was probably about the migration, and in this case the existing analysis data probably gets transferred as part of restoring the backup. (But I never tried that myself)

OK whew. :smiley: You know a lot, so my ears perk up when you write!

I once restored from a backup, and Roon did not need to do that time consuming re-analysis of my files.

1 Like

Thanks for pointing out and correcting my misunderstanding!

It is. However, it is very easy to mess up a migration and have Roon think the files are “new” and need to be re-analyzed. I always turn that feature OFF and only use Fast On Demand analysis instead.

1 Like

It is, and, it is also always watched so you cannot use it as a backup location. One of the reasons I still prefer external USB drives.

I know that disk drives have gotten less expensive but one of the reasons I am looking to go the Linux/Roon Server over ROCK would be to take advantage of partitioning the single drive in a NUC/other system (if my understanding is correct).

In my case having a 1TB SSD drive already in the NUC for nothing but the Roon DB is really wasteful IMHO. And since you can ‘get to’ the data via smb, etc. to upload new music files (or via USB if necessary) but have the single simple box on my server shelf seems advantageous.

Based on my reading there seems to be no performance difference between Linux/RS and ROCK on the same system (16M NUC 6i5 and said disk).

MAB

Just a notification that everything is proceeding very nicely according to plan. :grinning:

I installed the SSD and proceeded with: keeping the local storage turned off, and turning on the HBS3 one -way-sync job for the first batch (the classical albums) by means of a test. But as I hoped and predicted, after 7 hours of copying, and after turning off the NAS storage folder and turning on the local storage, Roon recognized everything. It was done scanning in a matter of seconds. All is retained, and I didn’t see any unnecessary dynamic range scanning.

So I turned off local storage again to start copying the rest (for the next 30 hours I guess :upside_down_face:), After this Rock will run from local storage, which is synchronized from the NAS to the NUC. So if I add an album to the NAS, it will be synced immediately by the HBS3 job, after which Roon will detect the change in the local storage.

NAS will be leading at all times, the local storage is basically an extra backup with advantages.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.