MQA disappointing

I agree. MQA sounds great.

1 Like

I co-produced this new album of Jerry Goldsmith’s score to “The Swarm” for La-La Land Records with Bruce Botnick. It has been MQA encoded. As there isn’t much of a chance of this score coming out digitally/streaming, MQA-CD made a lot of sense, as we transferred and did all of our work in hi-res.

There is one caveat, and I have been in touch with Roon for months about this. Roon has trouble playing all of the tracks as MQA. Other audio programs and the MQA Tag Restorer confirm the tracks are MQA. Hopefully Roon figures this out soon.

Neil

1 Like

This is my kit: http://goo.gl/66fjxw

I have also done these comparisons on high end heaphones. No difference in my perception.

5 Likes

Lately Im trying something new: I try not to pay attention to the sound quality and just enjoy the music. But every now and then I feel
The need to check specs of a specific song that simply sounds incredible. More often than not, streaming from Tidal when I notice something that I consider extraordinary I am listening to MQA files. Sometimes there are regular FLAC files that sound amazing. I honestly am not sure that I could pass an AB blind test to differentiate between a really good flac and a MQA. If I had to bet I’d bet that Incould not pass it.

My current system is a Roon core running inside a FREENAS Ubuntu server 18.04LTS, using my gaming PC as a bridge, connected through USB TO the non MQA Capable Marantz HD-DAC1, feeding a LS50W, crosses at 100hz, sending lower frequencies to a pair of SVS SB2000 subs.

I have a SMSL M500 that I am currently listening on my headphone rig in the bedroom. It sounds really good but there is something with the Marantz that is simply superior to me. Instrument separation, soundstage, all instruments sound with more weight and impact, and even thought the sound is a little too laid back for my taste, the goods make it the best dac I’ve heard and own. My point is that The Marantz in the main system
Is not even MQA capable and I still think the MQA tracks usually sound superior to regular FLAC tracks.

Again, it is dependent on other things because there are FLAC tracks with a superb sound. But overall, even without a MQA capable DAC, I find the MQA to sound better overall. Placebo? Maybe. I haven’t made tests and have not or do not level match when listening. All has been absolutely subjective.

That’s nonsense in my experience with Meridian DSP5200 SE system MQA sounds absolutely sublime.

1 Like

Bob Stuart has specifically said that there is no DRM in MQA and no intension to do this.
One of us is wrong, but I could link you a video of him explaining all this if you choose.

1 Like

Pardon me for being late to this conversation, having just switched to Roon from Sooloos. I couldn’t agree more with you: have been listening to hi-res mqa albums on Tidal on a full Meridian system and they are generally fantastic. My favourite? Magnificat, in 352 K, particularly track 4.

1 Like

agree; listening on DSP 7200SE

1 Like

In my listening experience, it’s the recording that determines the SQ more than the method. Sometimes I’ll hear an album that sounds really great to me and am surprised when I check to see which it is. It’s often MQA from Tidal or 24/192 from Qobuz, but sometimes it’s 16/44.1 or 16/48. Go figure.

2 Likes

Maybe Bob have said that, but the MQA specification says the opposite.

Just because something is possible, doesn’t mean it is intended, especially when they have stated publicly the case.
I could run people over with my car as it’s an option… clearly I have no intension of doing this, nor would I ever.

1 Like

Jim, you are right. CD can and often does sound amazing on a good system and the care taken in recording mastering and production are very important.

1 Like

Mr. Bob has brought this non-acceptance of MQA by a huge part of the audiophile community completely by himself.
There have been too many marketing statements which didn’t have too much contact with MQA reality.
I doubt a turn around is possible now.
Everybody expects “lies” continue each and every time they open their mouth.

3 Likes

There is a big difference between lies and what could be considered poor communication of ideas.
If you are going to call people liars, you better be sure you understand their intension is as such.

1 Like

ok
agreed
I meant misleading marketing lingo. That’s why lies is between apostrophes.

he also said it is lossless, it isn’t. Credibility 0, trust 0. As as far as I’m concerned when their :lips: move you know they’re :lying_face:

4 Likes

It is lossless musically. No musical information is lost and I am loving the sound. It’s a question of emphasis, you talk like it’s MP3 when my experience is the best sound I have ever heard from a recording.
My reference for what sounds right is live music and playing my guitar, so I know what I am talking about.
When I have musicians around who’s ears prick up when they listen because of the real ness 0f what they are hearing, I know I am right.
The perception of sound is surely what this hobby is all about. It is for me anyway.

1 Like

Aah, a new definition of lossless. On that basis so is 320k mp3.

4 Likes

And I know which sounds better… :joy:

1 Like

Chris, you are buying into the hype. Look, if an MQA release sounds better than a 24/96 or a 24/192 release, it is down to the mastering being better, not MQA…

1 Like