MQA disappointing

So who is it costing?

And you confirmed the 24/44.1 wasn’t MQA in that FLAC container?

3 Likes

Equipment manufacturers have to pay a licence like with anything else I suppose… The way of the world… :joy:

That’s not how market economics works, the DAC manufacturers and Roon pay licenses and who foots their bills? Even studios who pay for gear charge the artist/label who in turn charge you and me. That’s that way of the world.

2 Likes

Search for 2L - The MQA experience… play it and check your signal path…

In an unlikely development for Roon search simply typing MQA into the search box will turn this up, apparently finding what I don’t want to listen to is easer than finding content I want to hear. No doubt some MQA conspiracy to make me play it, grrrrr :wink:

1 Like

No license fee for playing back FLAC files which is why leading audio firms tell MQA to eff-off and try elsewhere :sunglasses:

4 Likes

And also why MQA can piggyback their format inside a FLAC container for zero cost.

3 Likes

MQA use Flac to deliver their files also… so what is the point you are trying to make?
The inventors of MQA also invented lossless compression and so much more in digital audio that we all take for granted. More on this is in the video I posted…

ya, disgusting isnt it :joy: using our nice format to transport their nasty stuff.

4 Likes

correction MQA = LOSSY compression; I can hear it. It’s damp.

1 Like

The Flac container is the lossless part of mqa. :rofl:

2 Likes

If you need long videos to explain what an audioformat is or does, it starts to smell fishy already. You dont need a long video to explain what FLAC is. It‘s a rather short equation:

FLAC = Lossless

2 Likes

Yes, I checked it.

This is perfectly explained in the video and no audio data is lost.

That’s just nonsense, this is a complicated topic to understand and you ask some pertinent questions, but they are all addressed here. So if you listen and digest you may move the subject forward.
People study for university degrees to understand aspects of this, so what’s your beef with a short video?

1 Like

Kind of. Every single digital format ever devised has at least minor deficiencies. If you look at an oscilloscope trace of an impulse recorded in the various formats, not one is perfect. Even DSD512 does not perfectly capture that impulse, and for each step down from that you see greater deviation from the original. I have yet seen MQA tested this way, so I will refrain from commenting on what it might show. Each and everyone of us has increased sensitivities and decreased sensitivities to the different shortcomings the various formats exhibit. Apparently you and I are more sensitive to the shortcomings that MQA has. If someone, though, is more sensitive to the shortcomings that FLAC has over those that MQA has, MQA will sound better to them. Let’s all acknowledge that, and stop trying to portray one camp better than the other. Let’s just try to get everyone to have the best experience that is possible.

You have some fair points there. However by “even DSD512” you appear to imply that that format is by any means superior to, lets say, FLAC 24/192, with which I would of course strongly disagree :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

All original audio data is lost :

An 352.8 mqa comes in a 44.1 flac. This means

1. 7 of 8 samples are simply thrown away, and can never be recovered
  2. the one remaining sample is overwritten with lossy estimates of what those 7 sample could have been; so the one remaining sample that was still lossless, now also became lossy.

=> mqa

• 7/8 samples => gone
  • 1/8 samples = now lossy

=> mqa = 100% lossy

3 Likes

To many people, including me, DSD512 sounds better that the other formats, especially on transients. Oscilloscope traces that I have seen from 4-5 studies clearly show DSD512 to be noticeably better in retaining the amplitude of the impulse, and to have less ringing. To me, that is very important, as cymbals sound more like cymbals, a pound of a drum sounds more like a pound, etc. But if you, or anyone else disagrees, it doesn’t bother me. When I have my library on shuffle, I can tell right away if a DSD of any sampling rate plays. It jumps out to me as better sounding (even though more often than not, it’s at a lower volume level)

1 Like

That is just nonsense, I’m sorry…