MQA Finale: Both Anti- and Pro- Forces Have Their Successes and Failure

I have no clue at all what that means. “My” approach, real reason, what? Is it another new conspiracy theory?

It helps to actually read these posts before writing?

I said “use the Roon unfold” because @j_a_m_i_e was complaining about the hypothetical of losing Qobuz, being stuck with only MQA in Roon, and having an elaborate home setup with multiple endpoints and a possibility of additional expense to provide end stage MQA hardware. Using the Roon unfold without an MQA DAC solves the problem without more expense. @ john answered the same thing the same way, and suggested adding an inexpensive MQA renderer as a final step. This is all about keeping Roon if Qobuz is gone. If you don’t care about Roon or Roon hasn’t integrated more services, or you’re not happy playing local high res files with Roon, than do any of the other options you like - Apple,Amazon, Spotify, Deezer, HighResAudio, Bandcamp, Primephonic.

It’s just not that complicated.

2 Likes

About time we gor more apps doing bit perfect on Android.

2 Likes

I’m quite surprised to see someone from Roon quoting the MQA marketing material.

@john: as you are very well aware, this statement is a bold faced lie:

“Master Quality audio is the only format that guarantees music fans that they are listening to the original master recording – exactly as the artist intended the track to sound.”

This, like the majority of MQA statements, is demonstrably false.

@Bill_Leebens :

But this is precisely and demonstrably what MQA is trying to do: replace a superior, free, open format, with one that is inferior, proprietary, and rent-seeking.

If that weren’t the case, no one would care about MQA. The fact that they lie about their format, and lie to the public and the studios is the problem.

10 Likes

The only time I’ve pointed to the MQA marketing material is when someone claimed that the reduction in file size isn’t a part of their marketing.

When quipping about authentication I gave a simplified but accurate technical description of the technology.

3 Likes

Authentication has always been primarily about seeing that the streaming service and user’s DAC didn’t change the bitstream or add processing.

The MQA website makes a point of saying that files can be signed off by the artist, producer, or label (under Bob-Talks, Provenance), and all three occur in differing circumstances. “Artist” in the summary version would be the simplest way of putting it. Not being a recording engineer, I can’t verify the average working arrangements but according to specific mastering engineers, the artist and production group work as a team anyway, so their sign off would be joint. Labels however might encode separately at a later time.

This. So much this.

4 Likes

Hahaha, I thought MQA is already dead in the water… Ever since Apple music and Spotify announced lossless streaming. Ironically, they never been truthful in the beginning and that’s why it has been a mess in the audiophile circles. I’m happy to listen whatever it takes. if the music industries are moving away from this, it is a sign of failure.

2 Likes

The purpose of the light is then, not achieved. There have been tests showing that 30% of the file can be altered and the blue light illuminates.

Room has been given dispensation to apply EQ and then re-enable the blue light authentication.
It is great that Roon can do this but illustrated the farcical nature of the little blue light.

• Rich

Good riddance.

The gullible audiophile press and pedigreed individuals who hearing struggles at 15 kHz.

• Rich
2 Likes

The usage of the light is discussed by Bob Stuart, see his blog: MQA 16b and Provenance in the Last Mile

The lights function as intended. It pays to read.

2 Likes

Excellent, as we know MQA has been caught peddling falsehoods.

An engineer submitted a file with 30% of the audio data omitted.
(10) Researcher publishes music to Tidal to test MQA | AVS Forum

The blue light is very pretty and triggers audiophile endorphins.
Of course, if you read the MQA publications, you know very little about MQA :wink:

• Rich
3 Likes

You need to read, it’s been explained well by Bob Stuart and doesn’t need reiteration.

1 Like

Perhaps, you should also invest in these recommend components from Stereophile:

Fono Acustica Virtuoso: $20,384/1.5m pair

Gullible audiophiles cannot be disputed. MQA fully understands their audience.

• Rich
1 Like

MQA in Broadcast | Bob Talks … and tails wag :stuck_out_tongue:

In all areas of sound, the key benefits of MQA include:

Clearly mostly false, since multi-track recordings may not be using the same encoding.
Encoded audio files are always decoded by matching decoding.
MQA attempts to make proprietary currently open HD-Audio formats.

I’d hate to fill my landfills with wasted data. There are cases where 44.1/16 have been MQA encoded creating wrong-sized data.

This is a key feature? I am not sure this is even a coherent statement.
What the hell is “last mile” technology?

Neil Young does not agree. He demanded that Tidal remove his work precisely because they had altered his masters.

This little blue light indicated that up to 70% of the file is intact.
I have downloaded numerous tracks from HDTracks, no bits are missing or altered.

• Rich
5 Likes

Neil young needs his masters altering, preferably removing his voice in my opinion.

5 Likes

And yet parted with Bob Stuart well before this, because he could not obtain exclusivity with MQA. Assemble these words in order: ‘Axe to grind he has an’….

2 Likes

Harsh…as the music could be improved too…

1 Like

I wouldn’t put much into a Prince Philip Medal… Or a Prince Andrew…

1 Like

Is that what Bob Stuart said? Do you have a source for your comment? Are you talking about the Pono issues?

The middle ground for MQA is fraud with a closed shop approach.

2 Likes