MQA General Discussion

Because the snake oil coalition needs you to believe in “astonishing” improvements.
If you would know the truth you would never spend so much money in useless new gadgets and file formats.

I proved for myself that I am not able to hear a difference between a 320k mp3 and lossless. How should it possible that: “The MQA rendering of this recording was simply astounding, even in comparison with the high-bit-rate version.”?
I think it’s all marketing verbiage to sell their new snake oil recipe to people who WANT to believe. And in many cases this kind of suggestion works, if you want to hear an improvement, you will hear it. That’s how placebos are working.

This is not correct. MQA is a lot more than just a compression system. MQA improves on the original studio master by correcting for timing errors in the original A/D converter or goes back to the original analogue master to capture them more accurately. Read the TAS article in the above link, “How can MQA improve the sound of original masters.”

1 Like

I still don’t understand the antipathy towards MQA. If you don’t like it then ignore it. No one has any need to buy anything again. No one needs ‘protecting’ from the evil MQA Empire. It will succeed or not, but many people seem oh so desperate that it should fail. I don’t get it. Bob Stuart did not spend all these years developing a ‘confidence trick’. Of course the industry will want to make money from it - that’s what happens in a Capitalist society.

6 Likes

@AE67 so because you can’t hear a difference between 320k MP3 and lossless you seem to be saying there isn’t an audible difference that anyone could genuinely hear? Secondly can you confirm that you have listened to decoded MQA files?
It seems to me many of the most vocal MQA critics either have a vested interest in it not succeeding or having invested heavily in audio equipment fear they will be missing out unless they invest further, both views are valid but do not in my view make MQA any less of a development.

Russ

2 Likes

This is bang on the money.

Or haven’t properly read the information out there and criticize it based on misunderstandings and falsehoods about what it is…

Or got a math or physics qualification 30 years ago and so know much more than one of the leading figures in digital audio technology who has excellent academic qualifications in this specific field and is widely published and respected…

…I could go on … oh and most of them have never heard it yet :slight_smile:

I got a physics qualification (Ph.D.) 24 years ago. My take on MQA will appear in the June Stereophile, which is due out in a few days.

1 Like

I’ll look forward to it. If you are using your qualifications and ears to provide a reasoned assessment (which as a subscriber I know you will ) then I’m all for it, even if it is not positive. Its those who claim on this basis they are right and Bob Stuart must be wrong because math is math and physics is physics or whatever that I was referring to.

I’m providing an honest, subjective appraisal. There’s some discussion of the technology–but for that you’re better off relying on John Atkinson’s extensive technical sidebar. Together it makes a nice package.

It’s worth noting here that JA’s expertise, which results from a sound technical foundation (no intentional pun, but whatever), a serious attitude, an open mind, and many years of experience (examining audio equipment and considering new technologies), dwarfs any advantage my physics training provides.

I’m going to stand up for @AE67 here–not because I agree with his point but because I admire his courage in admitting this. He’s choosing–knowingly I’m sure–to step into a trap, a natural bias toward positive opinions in this field: If you admit you can’t hear something, you’re open to charges of having a bad ear or an inferior system with inadequate resolving power. (Them’s fightin’ words.) But if you claim you can hear something, there’s no risk of being called out for it. In this subjective world, where rigorous testing is disrespected, no one will ever ask you to prove it (or if they do, that person won’t be taken seriously by most).

As to the question of hearing differences in lossy-compressed files, the differences are clearly audible. I don’t have direct evidence to cite (although I believe it exists) but I’ll point out a paper many seem to have missed on a related issue: hearing the difference between high-rez and CD-rez files. It’s from none other than Bob Stuart. Here’s a link and a synopsis, by me:

AES - The Audibility of Typical Digital Audio Filters in a High-Fidelity Playback System

Starting with a 24/196 recording from 2L (a Haydn string quartet), Bob Stuart and colleagues tested six “conditions” chosen “to offer a reasonable match to the downsampling filters used in good-quality A/D converters or in the mastering process; we wanted to minimise the ripple depth and maximise the stop band attenuation in order to reduce audible ringing artifacts, as described by Lagadec
[31]” :

Condition / Filter cutoff (Hz) / Further processing
1 / 21591–22050 / None
2 / 21591–22050 / 16-bit quantization
3 / 21591–22050 / 16-bit quantization, rectangular dither
4 / 23500–24000 / None
5 / 23500–24000 / 16-bit quantization
6 / 23500–24000 / 16-bit quantization, rectangular dither

All “conditions” were found to be audible except condition 4.

They write, “These results indicate that it is possible, with considerable effort to ensure a transparent replay system, to discriminate the difference between a selection of high-quality 192 kHz 24-bit music signals and the same audio with standard production processing applied. All forms of processing tested here were audible, except for one condition where performance was significantly different from chance at the 6.7 % level, including emulated downsampling filters at standard sample rates and 16-bit quantization with or without RPDF dither. Differences were demonstrated here in a double-blind test using non-expert listeners who received minimal training.”

My take: The question of whether (eg) 16-bit files sound different from 24-bit files can’t be answered absolutely. This paper shows that in every case where 24 bits were downsampled to 16, the difference was audible in a rigorous trial. Yet, we can’t rule out the possibility that some new method of quantization could be devise that would be transparent at least to the extent that this jury could not hear the difference. But then perhaps a better trained jury, with better ears, could hear it. And round and round we go.

Jim

@Jim_Austin, I was not criticising AE67 for not hearing a difference, but I disagree with the implication that there is no difference, I don’t know if you have heard decoded MQA? If not then please give it a go and report back, ultimately it is each to their own, and we should respect that decision. The vitriol around MQA reminds me of trying to get my kids to eat vegetables, their answer was “I never tried it because I don’t like it”

Russ

@Ratbert, as I wrote elsewhere in this thread, I provide my impressions of MQA–mainly subjective listening, but with some attention to the technology–in the June Stereophile, which should be on news stands and in mailboxes soon.

1 Like

@Jim_Austin I look forward to reading it, thanks.

Russ

MQA Controversy | DirectStream DAC | ForumsPS Audio »

I can’t help but think MQA is going to be a bad thing if it gets mainstream adoption…physical CDs are disappearing and if all that’s left is downloads or streaming, without an MQA capable DAC you’ll be listening to lossy content.

John Darko has published his A/B listening comparisons of unfolded MQA/hi-res and folded MQA/Redbook.

I found the passages about why a hardware implementation in a DAC was preferable to a software implementation in a streamer or renderer really handwavy. Particularly for Roon where the DAC is usually known by the software. Until someone can actually explain why it IS better, rather than COULD be better, I’m still going with greater licensing revenue as a sufficient explanation.

That’s Darko in a nutshell: hand-wavy, described elegantly without any use of conjunctives.

1 Like

It’s the overwhelming majority of the hi-fi rag industry in a nutshell :joy:

Obviously MQA the company has a vested interest in seeing MQA succeed

What I find most puzzling however, is the credence given to the other Companies who have equally “vested interests” in seeing MQA fail, as MQA’s success may compromise their own business goals

What appears to be equally puzzling is the lack of credence given to the people who have actually LISTENED to MQA material…and have almost globally found it to sound better…whether fully decoded in an MQA DAC…or just played as a regular 24/41 [24/48] FLAC file thru a non-MQA DAC

Real World Listening should trump all…and those dismissing MQA / DSD / High Res / DVDA material should listen critically first before criticizing

If only that were true…