MQA Roon Support

Back ON topic, I wonder whether the Roon guys have any update on the software decoding of MQA. Even if that is just an update that its something progressing. Last I heard, there might be potential licensing for that capability. Or, even if there is an update on how that would work with hardware - i.e. would a non MQA enabled DAC be able to take a decoded MQA file in Roon and play it back in full resolution?

Agree with jayrammusic, some news of any form on software decoding would probably help all the speculation and off-topic content.

But I most also say that Miguel show a lot of patients and good maner despite some not so nice comments, kudos to him.

I appreciate that an absence of news is leading to speculation. There is a blank canvas regarding software decoding and we all want to see it filled.

The Roon devs are both likely to be bound by non-disclosure agreements and engaged in continuing sensitive commercial negotiations. They have said that they will announce something as soon as they are able to do so. So far they have not announced that arrangements or discussions are at an end.

Until an announcement can be made, we have no option but to wait.

Closed pending topic/post restructuring.

3 Likes

205 posts were merged into an existing topic: MQA General Discussion

Re-opening the thread for discussion of Roon and MQA.

General discussion of MQA now has it’s own thread:

Please keep this thread on topic as regards Roon and MQA so that people can update themselves from it without wading through general MQA discussion.

Since last posting above I have heard from the devs regarding MQA and the position is as outlined above. Commercial negotiations are continuing and there are non-disclosure agreements that restrict what they can say.

“Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent” - Wittgenstein

2 Likes

Hi guys… Any updates on MQA support in Roon - ie software decoding to PCM?

Thx.

It’s the post above yours.

A post was merged into an existing topic: MQA Music - What’s Availability and Listening Experiences

Bob Stuart has responded to the CA Q&A and the following seemed particularly relevant to Roon/MQA:

Q43. Soft decoding:
Will software decoding be allowed (and when)?
Will software decoding get the complete benefit that will be possible with hardware MQA DACs? If not what will the differences be?
Will a MQA decode software module be available for integration into third party music players that run on generic PCs and Macs?

A43.
We already have software decoders for a number of hardware, portable and mobile platforms. In these three cases the decoder has the benefit of precise knowledge of the DAC and associated hardware.
See A42, there is no inherent quality difference between MQA decoders unless they are operating in designated power-saving modes. However, it is inevitable that a properly designed hardware product, incorporating the decoder and DAC will give the better result. The performance level that MQA enables, allows hardware makers an even better environment on which to stretch their skills. For the audiophile, this should be very exciting.
We do anticipate a program to enable such applications, but the requirement for tight DAC coupling and the obligation to match the previewed audio (in the studio) means that several combinations and options are still being explored with both DAC makers and creators of software players. We will make announcements in due course.

Q44. Digital out decoder:
To the extent that hardware decoding is necessary or desired and that many DAC manufacturers
might not be able to incorporate hardware mods, could an MQA decoder in a box feeding into a DAC be a potential solution for consumers?
If someone already has a an expensive DAC, of which they are very fond, and this DAC doesn’t natively support MQA, will it be possible for some manufacturer to supply a stand-alone box “MQA un-packer” with USB and/or S/PDIF output to make existing DACs MQA compatible?
Will software decoding into a “standard” high res bit stream that a generic DAC can use be allowed?
Which type of connections will be possible USB, SPDIF AES etc.?
Will SPDIF streamer interface be allowed, or only , in order to achieve a two way
communication. Meaning you would require a as a minimum in order to have your old DAC benefit from SW decoded MQA, or a streamer like Auralic.

A44.

• e. To get the best result, decoders with digital output require to know how to render for the specific connected DAC, or else to ensure that any alternative degraded representation is in line with the studio preview options (see Q21). This is true for either full decodes or split decodes (see A65).

We are working with our partners on programs for both product types and will announce roll-out in the coming months.

See Brian’s comments above about Roon’s capacity to identify DACs.

Bob’s responses indicate discussions are continuing. We know what the Roon devs are hoping to achieve. All we can do at this stage is wish them every success.

1 Like

I went along to a Bluesound/NAD/ MQA DEMO and there seemed a reticence to do A vs B with the same tracks, certainly it wasn’t set up to facilitate that and Ivan ( from Cloney Auidio) couldn’t do it.

The chap from bluesound could to a certain degree, and Sultans of Swing 16 bit through Tidal was certainly bettered substantially by MQA. I regularly stream with Tidal so know what to expect with this vs hi-Res or 16 bit local. There was something extra going on here.

I went a sceptic, left, if not quite a believer, certainly more open to this being on my Hifi map.

I do hope Roon will make this easy for me!

SJB

2 Likes

Interesting post from Brian in another thread on this topic:

Guys>
Any news?

I’m conscious of the recent news from Bluesound, i.e. that they’ve got their Android box able to decode MQA and output a fully decoded version via SPDIF to an external DAC. I appreciate that the box won’t know what DAC is on the output (though maybe you could manually configure that). However, by implication, this suggests that software decoding is here and agreed.

So how do we stand with Roon? I’m hoping/kind of expecting that it will include MQA decoding (particularly so as I’ve just bought a lifetime license).
Any news/potential timescales?

A quick bump to my question above.
Any news ref software decoding of MQA in Roon?

I’m confident that we’ll hear something about this in an impossible-to-miss fashion as soon as both of these are true:

(a) the question is resolved between Roon and MQA Ltd, and
(b) the Roon folk are legally allowed to comment on any such resolution

I too very much look forward to hearing both about software MQA decoding by Roon and about when the Tidal MQA switch will get flipped, but I don’t expect asking again to get me that information any sooner.

1 Like

I believe @Jeffrey_Moore is correct.

When they are able to tell us something, both Roon and MQA will want to ensure that everyone knows about it.

That is certainly good news. I expect that the point of contention for adding software unfolding support will be license fees since Roon’s target demo in large part are the very people that would (in MQA’s perfect world) demand MQA support from high-end DAC manufacturers and as a result, driving significant licensing/ royalty revenues from hardware manufacturers.

Hopefully MQA doesn’t somehow artificially / arbitrarily limit the quality of software unfolding to something between folded CD-quality MQA (with added noise, allegedly) and the full unfolding process to 24-bit / 96 KHz.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that the MQA decoding in th Bluesound streamers is done through the build in DAC and not through software. I think this is one of the first firmware updates for MQA which is available as far as I know.