MQA software decoding in Roon

Thanks for clarifying…

It was originally for folded (not decoded), but it actually works very nice for upsampling unfolded MQA content too. It’s response is good match for what MQA encoder does. It is a bit “MQA style” being very short slow-roll-off, but not nearly as leaky as the MQA upsampling filters are.

I do similar now with HQPlayer Embedded, by inserting it between the decoder and DAC. So it works a bit like those dCS or Esoteric upsampling devices, but with extra functionality, and also for analog sources (vinyl). I just last weekend got analog sources through DSD256 ADC working, to DSD512 output.

I’ve been using both the original Tidal application and Audirvana+ for decoding MQA and sending it through HQPlayer processing to the DAC.

2 Likes

Hi @jussi_laako, Can the HQPlayer in this case can do the final ‘unfold’ or up-sampling beyond the 88.2/96kHz with ‘MQA’ like filter? Am I right to say HQPlayer now behave like a renderer? Thanks.

I am trying to understand this. Can you explain this setup a bit more?

HQPlayer does not do any MQA processing/un-folding. It can take the unfolded file and then upsample to DSD512 (or whatever capability your DAC has).

It can upsample using it’s own filters, not the MQA ones. But there are multiple more or less MQA-style filters available, so your choice, unlike in case of MQA’s rendering. So it can behave a bit like a “renderer” (since further unfolding/rendering is just upsampling with one of the MQA’s filters), but of course it is not official MQA one.

So as @jcn3 said, it can take unfolded output from computer/device and do upsampling and all the other normal processing for it, like for any other source too.

Jussi: Given the way that MQA does not losslessly fold and unfold, would using an MQA-like filter plus upsampling not introduce further inaccuracies in the output? Put differently, which would you personally prefer: a) uprez the normal 16/44 non-MQA file to DSD512 using say your poly-sinc-xtr filter and AMSDM7 512+fs setting; b) uprez the MQA file using the poly sinc MQA filter to the full unfolded MQA resolution; or c) yet some other combination, to get the best sound?

I almost guarantee his answer is a).

Tag him if you want him to see your question.

1 Like

Any rates above 24/.88 or 96 in MQA are upsampling. The MQA process eliminates all the bits that encode for the 4X rates in the master. What you get in an MQA certified DAC is MQA filtering.

You can do very similar upsampling and filtering to MQA files without the MQA DAC.

Is it possible to fully unfold an MQA file in software alone, such as roon? I can only see this vaguly mentioned in previous posts I have seen.
Thanks

No. MQA can only be fully “unfolded” by a licensed MQA DAC.

Thanks Daniel.

Cheat sheet:

“Fully unfolded” = decode to 88.2/96k PCM and then upsampled using one of the 16 MQA filters.

1 Like

Great advice Ronnie - I’ve just set this up too although I don’t distinguish between Tidal MQA and non-Tidal MQA as I only have 2 non Tidal tracks! Why is ‘mainstream’ MQA still so hard to actually buy - Grrr!

I’m even gone a step further with labelling green light MQA (Meridian’s light for non-authenticated MQA) as MQA+ so I know I’m not getting the full special sauce with these tracks - these albums then go on my HDtracks shopping list as it is my understanding that they should be the same quality - just simply take up a little more space.

1 Like

I thought blue just meant it has been signed off by someone relevant. I didn’t think it indicated anything about the mqa process itself.

It doesn’t, but the marketing has paid dividends and the blue light is very nice to look at! The honest truth is that signature comes from more people interested in the proceeds of new sales than anyone in the creative process. But if the qualifier is being familiar enough with the original masters to be able to approve the MQA mix, I suppose it still fits in with the vision sold to the community. Just remember that the A in MQA has a lot more to do with the end to end nature of the format than the ‘authentication’ of an individual who has approved the final mix.