MQA - Time for a rethink?

Newtonian mechanics is still used for most mechanical engineering, no one uses quantum physics or relativity which apply at extremes. Feel free to provide references to proven papers, not marketing brochures please, that show how Bob and the MQA crowd have improved on proven information theory.

BTW, do different colour socks also represent a paradigm shift in footwear?

2 Likes

Regardless of oneā€™s opinions on MQA, I think youā€™d struggle to categorise it as a ā€œparadigm shiftā€ in any meaningful way.

I also think we need to see the wider picture. That vast majority of MQA is accessed via streaming. But MQA (and indeed all HiRes streaming) makes up a relatively small proportion of the streaming market. Spotify remains top-dog and there is no evidence that MQA will change that. It would appear that most people who use streaming services arenā€™t bothered about redbook, never mind MQA and HiRes.

2 Likes

:grin: Read the MQA is disappointing thread if you you want to see passionately for.

1 Like

Er, I think youā€™ve missed @Chrislayerukā€¦ :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve spoken to a couple well known DAC designers who have publicly said we have no need for MQA but these manufacturers have had a lot of demand for MQA support which is why their products support it.

They said they see some of the popular ā€˜againstā€™ MQA threads and said the demand ā€˜forā€™ MQA (phone calls, emails from customers) outnumbers the numbers ā€˜againstā€™ they see on these popular forumsā€¦

Remember forums can sometimes be an inaccurate representation of the populationā€¦ Iā€™m only talking ā€˜audiophileā€™ population in this case - not real world population with the crazy big Spotify and Apple Music numbersā€¦

1 Like

Adding MQA support has now become almost ubiquitous in new DACs over a certain price. Topping released the D90 with and without MQA, but the newly released D70s is only available with MQA. New DACs from SMSL and Gustard are the same. Canā€™t blame them, even if designers are often less keen. Regardless of my opinion about MQA, I have to admire their marketing!

People have been predicting an MQA takeover for some time (years) now and it hasnā€™t happened. I understand that the recent Warner dump has caused anxiety, but until FLAC files are removed from Qobuz I wonā€™t be losing too much sleep.

Telsaā€™s self driving DACs too according to @Craig_Palmer

Will be interesting to see them add this to all old Tesla models, and walk around people that state this needs to be done with special MQA hardware.

1 Like

I personally think MQA is an anti-feature, and wish all the principals behind it ruin and cursed loins to the tenth generation, but I couldnā€™t be arsed to call up some DAC manufacturer to mope about it. Iā€™d maybe bother if the MQA filters on everything bugs were widespread, but even thenā€¦ Likewise, Iā€™ve paid MQA tax through RoonLabs, and didnā€™t send a nastygram to Team Roon, either, because even though it isnā€™t something that I personally appreciate, contrary to a number of the MQA proponents, Iā€™m not enough of a piece of human garbage to ask others to foot the bill for my delusions, or risk other peopleā€™s liberty in the name of my own.

If Iā€™m not mistaken, thereā€™s hardware support in the ESS chips theyā€™re using is why weā€™re seeing that. How much it costs (both directly and / or indirectly) to flip the switch, I donā€™t know, but Iā€™d be curious - @wklie, you got anything you can tell us ?

Crazy what you can do to a niche market filled with anxious rich customers when you have tens of millions to burnā€¦

2 Likes

Only the very latest ESS chips have built-in MQA support. I am not aware of common audiophile DAC using those yet, other than announcements like a MQA headphone from a computer peripheral manufacturer.

Of the many MQA ESS implementations (including our non-mobile ES9018S, ES9028PRO, ES9038PRO products), manufacturers have other means of providing MQA on those chips without ESS MQA hardware support. Even with those latest MQA ESS chips, I suspect they do MQA rendering only and manufacturers still need the MQA core decoding plus other stuff and going through certification, etc.

For those people who fail to understand why others demand this technology that they hate, Iā€™d rephrase the issue as simply whether a product decodes all formats from Tidal. If it does not decode all formats designated by Tidal, this is simply not a product that supports Tidal properly.

1 Like

Oh, Iā€™d completely understood that part. Why theyā€™d make DAC manufacturers foot the bill rather than taking it up with Tidal is completely beyond me. I mean, it should be Tidalā€™s problem if they donā€™t support common standards properly, no ?

1 Like

Gustard X16 DAC is using these ESS chips with MQA support. As I could read in the ASR forum, all people who ordered it are still waiting, because Gustard did not do the licensing process with MQA. There was a discussion, if the chip needs to be certified or the DAC. Anyway, delivery is postponed.

EDIT: seems like they paid the license fees. They are shipping now.

2 Likes

The Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC has built-in hardware decoding.

1 Like

Shhtā€¦ donā€™t say that, Team MQAā€™s going to come out and spin that as Stuartā€™s genius helping DAC manufacturers achieve - infinity THD+N.

Theyā€™re on route now and I think one two two have arrived.

1 Like

2L albums on Qobuz are now only available in MQA. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I hope this isnā€™t the start of a trend on Qobuz.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what the producer wants and considers best, I hope we have more of this.

1 Like

This whole anti-choice thing with MQA is my main objection with it.

I understand youā€™re happy with it, but that shouldnā€™t mean the rest if us shouldnā€™t have any choice.

2 Likes

Or heā€™s just a gullible fool who doesnā€™t understand information theory.

The response I received from my email to 2L expressing my disappointment with their decision would indicate you are correct.

2 Likes