MQA - Time for a rethink?

96/24 MQA here in the UK.

1 Like

Yeah your right, 2 version

1 Like

That album sounds amazing, the regular non mqa version. I’ll try the Mqa version tonight, just for a quick comparison.

2 Likes

This troubles me, in effect the limits of the encoder define the boundaries of artistic expression? Phrases like:

• “sensible content”;
  • “the statistics change mid-song”; or
  • “the audio does not resemble natural sound”

sound like an attempt to define “music”, this may prove problematic for those pushing the boundaries. There are a few things I’d like an encoder to do, the main one is to express it’s limits in unambiguous technical terms. Surely it’s the creator or listener who decides what’s “music”…

3 Likes

Is it even fair to compare lossless format (FLAC/ALAC PCM) to a lossy (MQA) one?:thinking:

If I’m not missing anything here, it would be more sensible to debate MQA vs. AAC/Vorbis/etc.

There certainly are those that cannot imagine anything could be developed that could be better than a 20 year old PCM format, and for them that is what they want. But I do think the comparison of MQA and PCM is fair.

As I stated at the start of this thread, 4 months ago, I found my response to MQA didn’t fit with much of what is expressed here in terms of a preference for lossless PCM. Over the last 4 months, I feel more, rather than less, convinced that there are problems with lossless PCM, but recognise my views are rooted in the notion that listening to music is an aesthetic experience which, ultimately, is personal.

But why debate? Why not listen, and form your own view? That would be fair to all.

3 Likes

Those are intelligent questions. I don’t suspect any of it is a worry based on what’s been published. The Stuart/Craven paper in JAES has a lot of info that sounds like the Bob Stuart comments you quoted. It relates to the known 1/f roll-off of spectral amplitude with frequency. If you measure that and signal:noise, you should be able to predict aliasing and choose the right filters for the track. Impulsive electronic music would be okay too.

2 Likes

Can’t agree more – the proof is in the pudding (or sound for that matter). And yet, the online forum as a medium is poorly equipped for music listening as they’re designed for an exchange of ideas and debate.

I think people can also describe something they have discovered? Or some experience that impressed/excited/enraged them? A great reviewer (and not just of audio equipment) can take you on a journey, though in our world of monetised influencers, they may be harder to find?

The first issue is with the assumption the PCM file is a perfect representation of the original, or golden.
It is not. The way it was made introduced timing errors etc.
MQA tries to correct these errors introduced in the PCM. That’s (part of) the point of MQA.

There’s plenty of write ups about MQA but they’re very difficult for a layman to understand.

3 Likes

But you do get improved timing resolution.

1 Like

No that’s wrong.
MQA corrects phase (timing errors) in the PCM and stores it in the inaudible section of the file.

So it’s lossy in the sense it’s not a bit perfect copy of the PCM. But the PCM also has phase errors compared to the original which have been mitigated in the MQA file, i.e. the PCM is not perfect itself.

2 Likes

Not only “laymen” have to admit there’s a difference between “difficult” and “imprecise”…

Time smearing is not a pseudo science, it’s a fact.

1 Like

Once you’ve read it, compare Claude Shannon’s CV to Bob Stuart’s, or the 2L guy. I’ll stick with knowledge of proven theory, i.e. fact, over dubious claims conveyed in pseudo science.

You’ll have more trouble dismissing Peter Craven and Michael Gerzon on this topic. Bob Stuart’s experience is hardly bad, and Shannon (Whittaker, Nyquist, Kotelnikov) have been advanced upon significantly by mathematicians in the last 15-20 years with what’s called modern sampling. Start with the work of Michael Unser and then continue with the work of Vetterli, Marziliano, and Blu on Finite Rate of Innovation sampling. That work forms part of the sampling theory ideas in MQA.

Peter Craven is co-developer of MQA and a full time mathematician and DSP designer.

4 Likes

@Rockhound & @Neil_Russell—- Neil your opinion is fine and Rockhound thanks for agreeing— if Y’all don’t like MQA don’t listen to TIDAL ‘Masters’ or don’t use TIDAL at all and just listen to Qobuz or for that matter Spotify(does ROON recognize Spotify?)—I personally enjoy A-B-Cing all formats vaporware or not(including A and B ing ROON & Audirvana) — that is what makes our ‘hobby’ or ‘obsession’ so much fun !!
Nice dialogue and responses so far

All I did was reply to your post stating “@Neil_Russell Because it has been beaten to death here and especially on Computer Audiophile/Audiophile Style(the thread MQA is Vaporware) its a dead horse and who really cares?” to which I replied “Obviously many people care, or they wouldn’t be participating in the numbers they are”, which is 100% fact. I did not say anything about SQ, and I find it very strange for you to suggest I have. And, I don’t support Tidal in any way, and in all likelihood never will. But I’m glad it’s there for those who do want to use it. I’m totally for allowing the market to have it’s way. I had both VHS and Beta VCRs back in the day, and didn’t blink when the measurably better format lost the race. As MQA is totally closed off to being studied, measured and dissected by partial groups, we will never know if it is the VHS or the Beta of today’s leading music formats. And only time will tell us who the winner will be, or even if either will be the winner. That’s up the you, me and the rest of the market collectively.

3 Likes

Time smear is a term used in MQA advertising. That is a fact.

4 Likes

It seems you need a reality check.
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/mqa-time-domain-accuracy-digital-audio-quality

Time smearing is a term used throughout the literature of math, physics, astronomy, optical imaging, and audio. It’s only new to people not familiar with it.

3 Likes