Multiple issues that keep me from going to subscribe.. :(

Not when the restrictions are built into CarPlay because people should NOT be using Roon Focus to build database queries while driving but rather should focus on the driving as such.

6 Likes

I don’t use carplay or android auto I just use ARC in the car with BT but it’s a case of queue up a few albums and press play then let the screen turn off.
I wish head units would just display turn directions for a programmed route and not allow other engagement with apps unless the vehicle is stationary and that includes receiving calls.

1 Like

Normally the co-driver (my son) does the music in the car so I can keep us both safe…

But we’re going a bit off topic now imho.

Not really, I think you’re expecting too much from carplay.
If your son wants to engage with a music player repeatedly during a journey use a phone and BT, you’d get full app functionality.

Well, the trial period has ended and I have concluded Roon is not for me. I just don’t think it’s worth the money, even though it does have some nice features, the experience as a whole is just too frustrating, clunky and underwhelming for me.

Perhaps the price raised the bar so high, that I expected it to be absolutely perfect in every way.

• Sometimes playback just stops
  • I always hear weird noises between tracks, soft plopping/clicking sounds
  • I cannot like / dislike a song that is suggested in roon radio
  • I cannot block an artists I don’t like
  • The Roon Remote user interface feels outdated, like it was designed by Microsoft (also here I saw some strange layout bugs where bits of text were just cut off)
  • The Tidal page comes up with suggestions that are totally not my taste

etc etc

IMHO it’s more for people with too much disposable income that like to fiddle around with hard/software instead of actually enjoying music…

I really wanted to like this software but I just can’t.

I quite liked your reasoning until your massive assumption about everyone else. It’s as bad as saying that people who can’t get on with it and understand networking are too stupid.

6 Likes

I think you’re the one making assumptions :wink:

I mean people apparently are willing to fork out a lot of cash for software that requires them to either just live with its peculiarities / flaws or spend a lot of time to get it to do what it promises.

That’s fine, but I am not one of those people. I don’t really see how that is an assumption, it’s just how 14 days with this software makes me feel.

As an example, I am a life time Plex Pass subscriber of the first hour, and Plex has never ever disappointed. Plex really does ‘just work’ across a multitude of platforms.

As a Plex Pass owner it has its own annoyances and decisions made by the developers that means it will never be my main music server, even though I always maintain an up to date Plex Server and PlexAmp with many GB of downloads on my phone.

14 days really isn’t enough time to evaluate Roon properly and they really should have changed that long ago. Many users cannot get over network issues or cannot stream uncompressed PCM inside their network.
But if Roon is not for you enjoy your music on PlexAmp

2 Likes

As you have decided Roon is not for you I am moving this out of the Support arena.
Thank you for trying Roon.

5 Likes

The reason I used Plex as an example was not even for it’s abilities to act as a music server, more for the huge difference in pricing… the amount for a life time pass does not even cover one year with Roon…
:frowning:

And I don’t have any networking issues with all the other software I use so I don’t really think that’s the case either…

I pay annual for Plex because lifetime is sold way too cheaply (at least IMO) and I love it and want to see it improve further. I paid for lifetime for Roon when it was more reasonably priced, but felt it was a reasonable price to pay at the time.

Roon is the only software that I have come across that streams uncompressed PCM which is why it shows up issues that otherwise are never seen by other software (and are invisible to the user). It’s one of the reasons Roon recommend Ethernet only setups (though many of us use endpoint’s on WiFi).

Roon has many mostly small and annoying issues but is still the best music playback and management software I have used.

1 Like

I for one tried it, it fit my needs right away (at least 100 times better than everything else that’s available), I purchased a NUC and a license and it has worked without critical issues every day for 3+ years.

Sure there is the odd bug and some features I’m missing, but that would be the case with other software that does a lot less.

Certainly Roon is opinionated in its design and it may or may not fit a particular person’s needs. However, just because it doesn’t fit yours doesn’t mean that everyone else is a gullible fool with too much money.

1 Like

I agree that it’s too short but on the other hand, a monthly subscription for a month or two isn’t exactly breaking the bank.

1 Like

I tend to agree that it’s not expensive, but then it is not a free trial.

Given that the number of users that have only had one or two responses from support before their trials have expired, that is my thinking for the sense of having a longer trial.
It makes sense to me, but I bought Roon on day 3 of my trial with everything pretty much working perfectly.
Doesn’t happen for a fair few users though.

3 Likes

True and I would extend it, I guess.

1 Like

Agreed. IMHO, it should be 30 days, especially given how long it can take for Roon to respond to service requests.

Roon was quite a learning curve for me. I stuck with a monthly subscription until I was confident I would keep using it, then bought a lifetime license (much cheaper back then). If I only had given myself 14 days to decide, I probably would have gone back to LMS.

3 Likes

Then you’re right not to subscribe.
I don’t have any issues with Roon and no weird noises between tracks. I use Roon with Qobuz and Tidal and am largely a headphone or IEMs user to multiple endpoints, I use PEQ for each headphone and nothing comes close for profile management.

I pay for Roon annually and don’t consider it a lot of money, but that’s subjective obviously, I get more pleasure from Roon in a month’s worth of use than the half a pizza I could buy with the same money. LastFM tells me I scrobble 100 tracks a day on average, most with Roon. I don’t know how that’s not value for money.

I too am a Plex pass holder and Plexamp user, Plex is not without problems, Tidal integration is poor IMO, issues like missing tracks in Tidal albums are widely reported on the forum, no Qobuz integration and whilst there is PEQ, the management of profiles is not as good as in Roon, it’s apples and oranges.

You received a lot of help here from members, at least they tried.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.