My Albums view - strange way of album sorting

ripped… so I need to check these metadata then.

I actually would prefer a search function like in iTunes were you can add or subtract items. Like does contain, does not contain etc. That would solve 99% of my issues and would add so much flexibility. I really can’t imagine that this should difficult to implement.

But thanks for the help, it does work for some of my issues.

As @Placebophile says, you can invert criteria and build up detailed queries. Check out the article:

2 Likes

did not realise it works. I see that if I select Prince I get Prince, if I click again I get all but Prince. Perfect, this will help some. Thanks.

I did start this with Tags, it seemed the only way that would provide some result as I wanted.

I will just need to have much more separate Tags than
live, bootleg, label X label Y label Z, Prince, Bruce, Jamiroquai…
I will need like each tag 5 or 6 times
like this
Prince album, Prince live, Prince bootleg, Prince SAB Rec, Prince EYE Rec, Prince PGA rec, etc and then I can repeat with any other artist.

1 Like

Glad you’ve had some progress.
And I totally understand where you’re coming from.
My physical music was organized in a similar way: Genre first.

1 Like

Geoff, im intrigued when you say you store podcasts, how do you do this please?

Well, I would just make one set of tags: e.g. “album”, “live”, “bootleg”, “SAB Rec”, “EYE Rec”, “PGA rec”, etc. and then use Focus in combination with Tag in the Album browser to show the results of the “Artist + Tag” query.

Can I check what you mean by the term “Tag”?

Are you talking about a Roon Tag, or a file metadata “Tag”? They are not the same thing.

Since you have ripped files, then you could use a metadata editor and use it to apply metadata tags to your files.

Roon recognises the VERSION metadata tag, so you could use that for the different versions you have, e.g. “album”, “live”, “bootleg”, “SAB Rec”, “EYE Rec”, “PGA rec”, etc.

However, while the Versions will be displayed for albums in the Album browser, it’s not a criterion that you can select for in Focus, so you would also need to use Roon Tags…

More information about Roon’s metadata model, and File tag metadata can be found in these articles:

I mean the Tags that I can create in Roon. See image below.

I was not sure Roon would “see” my Tags I created over the years when ripping my music. Although I am not so sure how constant I was in the past since this spans many years. So I would rather make new ones and select discs to put in one or the other tag-groups.

This here is where I added Tags this should be “Prince” - “live” - “bootleg” - “Moonraker Rec”
as you can see I even tried to not Recording Artist as “Prince - MR” (works, but its a mess and just a work-around)

Some Tags I tried to use, but I am not 100% satisfied with. I used “Prince-MR” (Moonraker Rec) or used just “Moonraker”. Simply as you suggested “album”, “live”, “bootleg”, “SAB Rec”, “EYE Rec”, “PGA rec” would really be what I want.

I need to read the two links you sent. I really need a way to sort through the Genres, Artists and sub-categories. I found the way to make a Tag to put all discs in one large box-set a way that worked for me to make a group for a box-set. Like the “Glen Gould Remastered Columbia Records” but that just keeps on adding to the endless list of Tags. And since Tags are sorted alphabetically you get a list like - Eye Rec - Japan - Karajan - live - outtakes - Prince - … looks like a supermarket with products sorted by name and not a meat section, vegetables, cleaning products… :upside_down_face: To me that’s a mess.

I have a feeling that all I do is to find work-arounds my various sorting problems. I really think Roon is here to help me to sort through my records collection. And Roon is better than lots other things I have seen so far, but it’s not there yet. (Reminds me of the iPhone before finally copy/paste was finally added.) So I am scared to do all that work to have my stuff sorted in all the possible ways I want; and tomorrow Roon has this iTunes like sorting with one button ready. In the meantime I need a simple way that does let’s say 80% of what I want.

now I need to read those 2 articles you sent…

If you want to cut down on the number of Roon Tags that you need to create, then you don’t have to use Roon Tags for your record Labels - Roon knows about them directly and they are a Focus criterion:

Roon will read in the Label from your file metadata.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.