My Experience with Fiber Ethernet

Once again, the same ‘conversation’ as always.

Those who have actually tried the components (in this case fiber, either basic consumer and/or Sonore), and then those same few again and again who haven’t and never will due to some theoretical considerations not born out of audio, but take glee in knocking down others discoveries and enjoyment and yet never add anything positive, and then proceed to call those who have tried ‘tin foil hats’ or ‘snake peddlers.’ Fun, fun, fun…

@Harry_Jones @maniac @Robert_Furstenberg I gave up on this lot a long time ago. I would suggest you do too. Let them have their playground. Best not to give bullies air.

4 Likes

Some of the naysayers had tried the components, and found no difference.

I’d argue you favour imaginary considerations that have nothing to do with data transfer and make the mistake of transferring analogue paradigms to the digital domain where they have no place.

I think saving people money so that they can spend it where it would make a difference is positive and lining the pockets of bad actors is a negative but you say potato.

I’d see the playground as the place where anecdotal evidence trumps rational debate, did you find your physics teacher a bully? :wink:

7 Likes

@Charles_Peterson I have just spent fruitful time and found “ignore” function on this forum - when you click on user you can even set how and for how long (if not forever) to be ignored :slight_smile: thanks for directing me :+1:

2 Likes

And once again, a petulant childish rant at those who undermine your ‘beliefs’ with science, engineering, rational argument and practical know-how.

180 metres of 10Gbit (50/125 µm OM3) fibre installed here, >600 metres of 1Gbit copper, 10 fibre transceivers (SR 850nm VCSEL) in service. I run all my own cables and make and test all of the terminations at the faceplates and patch panels.

I know a little bit about networking, though to be fair, I can’t hold a candle to the knowledge and experience of some of the other members that frequent the community.

This is a public forum. Far-fetched claims of audible improvements using so-called “audio-grade” networking hardware are going to be challenged by those who know that those claims are improbable at best and Impossible at worst, in the same way that you’d be challenged if you came here and claimed that you had been lied to all along and that the Earth was actually flat…

If you want everyone around you to blindly validate and reinforce your belief in the impossible, then there are other, more suitable fora to frequent.

7 Likes

Naim forum is where the various (copper) boutique ethernet cables (some cost in excess of $,$$$), EE8, ER, Innuos PhoenixNet reclocker are highly praised and there are lots of believers, followers.

1 Like

Audiophile Style and Computer Audiophile also spring to mind. EE8 is a recased, rebadged Zyxel switch (I bought one for £19.90 from Amazon just so that I could take it apart). ER was objectively tested by Amir at ASR and there was no improvement whatsoever in noise or “jitter” when measured into a Matrix Audio streaming DAC by an Audio Precision APx555 audio analyser. I have kept the double quotes around jitter as it’s not a thing where TCP/IP ethernet protocol is concerned…

Ethernet reclockers are a joke. Provided the internal clock on an ethernet device meets the spec of +/- 50 ppm it works just fine. Beyond tolerance, you get lost packets. More precise clocks don’t give better bits and TCP/IP is buffered/checksummed.

3 Likes

I guess that doesn’t have an LPSU and doesn’t use braided power cables?

1 Like

Indeed, it has neither and is capable of measuring noise levels (SNR) of around 160dB.

Or any forum where almost exclusively old men in developed countries go to pat each other on the shoulder over their audio equipment purchases. Why the need for reinforcement among dyed in the wool subjectivists, that is the real question? Promotion and proselytization are not necessary. If not for reinforcement of self created beliefs and groupthink.

Thus, maybe stop posting about it. Unlike medicine or politics, for example, subjective opinion in audio does not affect anyone else. If you are happy, why the seemingly compelling need to share the word, so to speak? Just go on privately enjoying your bliss – unless you are insecure about it.

AJ

8 Likes

Isn’t that what a forum is about?

I think you’re on to something. :pleading_face:

1 Like

These are the very things the "snake-oil’ vendors rely on. Evangelical preaching helps to propagate the religion (and increase the cashflow).

Don’t let them get you down.

I keep reading the reports about various user experiences because I can still learn things -in spite of the experts who clearly know everything already, and can’t wait to diss their inferiors. Too bad (for them) that they can’t save me from being exploited: I truly enjoy my expectation bias.

Last month I tried a new network configuration -on a lark, just because this is still a fun hobby for me- that gave me a big jump in 3D soundstaging. Once upon a time these forums were the place to share such serendipity without being crucified…

2 Likes

What you “learn” from user opinion generally is the intellectual equivalent of the election may have been stolen, 5G wireless may spread COVID, and vaccines may alter your DNA.

Sorry, but old audiophile pseudoscience/mysticism in the digital realm really is rising to that kooky level. You should know that is how you are viewed.

AJ

5 Likes

Let’s keep it civil please gentlemen!
Thank you.

1 Like

Indeed. Bitter vituperation calling other forum members “bullies” seems to go against the rules of the forum.

1 Like

I’m still not bitter being viewed as “kooky” for my attempts to “learn” from other old audiophile pseudoscience/mystics (who may also be delusional about elections, COVID and vaccines).

Forums are intended to share both information and opinion. I’ve discovered some great music and very worthwhile products & practices on this site (amongst all of the debris).

Just be armed with many grains of salt and try to leave your judgemental tendencies at the door.

3 Likes

True. But some are presenting their opinions as factoids and that’s how untrue is widely spread.

2 Likes

Unlike calling them ‘tin foil hats’? What is it always a one way street with you types?

Done here, trying to figure out how to cancel my user profile but haven’t yet. Logging out for now.

Please Charles, lighten up just a little?

No one called anyone ‘tin foil hats’.

I replied with a light-hearted musical reference - an album which is, to my mind, a brilliant socio-political commentary on the exceptional events that kicked off in 2020.

It was also a tongue-in-cheek analogy - you can achieve the “benefits” of a costly over-priced product at a fraction of the price, whether those benefits are real, or just perceived…

4 Likes