My experiences with Rock and a 500k+ tracks library

More likely the audio analysis than metadata import. Turn that off and see what happens.

Can’t begin to fathom how someone finds 100,000 albums of sufficient interest to purchase, rip and store though.

@ evand

…but why would the audio analysis necessarily take longer with a growing collection (that’s static during the import phase)?

…I have a wide taste in music!

Has the entire collection already been analyzed? If not, try turning off analysis just to see if there’s a noticeable improvement in responsiveness.

How many artists you have in Roon, must be over 20,000? Would be interesting to see your genre breakdown in Focus. I’m guessing you mostly let Roon Radio do the driving?

evand
Has the entire collection already been analyzed? If not, try turning off analysis just to see if there’s a noticeable improvement in responsiveness.

Yes, it’s just new additions that are analysed now.

I can’t access Roon remotely. I’ll confirm stats later.

@danny
This may be off topic, so you may want to split it.
You could list what are the separate hardware requirements that would work with RoonOS, like CPU, Chipset, etc.
Where I live it’s a bit hard to find NUC readily available, but it would be easy to build a mini itx knowing the limitations.

1 Like

Intel chipsets are the safest…that should be easy to find.

I have a m-ITX running ROCK. Motherboard is ASRock H310M-ITX/ac. It runs ROCK well, is stable and it’s bios can be configured to boot non EUFI drives.

That is great, but you had to gamble while buying the motherboard, I’d like to avoid that.

I gambled so others could profit. It is now tested with ROCK and works exceptionally well. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Maybe there could be a topic about alternative systems that work with rock.
If I get my hands on a spare SSD I could test my current desktop system.

There is, look up MOCK.

1 Like

There is no avoiding the gamble ‘…but we cannot guarantee it will continue to work with future builds…’

1 Like

I’ve put together a ton of Mock systems, if you have any questions feel.free to PM.

Update: Using this hardware configuration (as above) and Rock v1.7 and 1.1M tracks, Roon has keeled over. Despite a re-start it’s now three days with a animated logo, Rock is responsive over the network, so still active. I have no idea what it’s doing. The last thing I did was turn off the dynamic analyse feature (as suggested) and add more tracks to the NAS repository. So it looks like I have hit a limit with this hardware/software configuration, I am disappointed as although I have a large collection of music according to other users, I really don’t think this should defeat the software!

The advice you were given said that the software would cope but that you are on the wrong hardware if I am reading the thread right.

You really should revisit Brian’s comments about NAS:

and Danny’s comments about recommended hardware for a library of such size:

Hi @andybob,

Yes I take on-board what was previously said and if I need to move to a higher-spec hardware platform I will, however, I thought the Roon Rock NUC hardware platform with maxed out spec & highly optised software. would handle a large music collection. I guess I’ve failed to fully understand what Roon is doing under the hood. I assumed once it had discovered, analysed & stored all music internally & externally, that’s it. After once completed rattling through all the music, storing all data in the database and not currently playing music it would be pretty dormant. I can’t help but think the limitation with my setup is with the database design (with the Rock variation or all versions), maybe the shear load in adding/inserting, sorting the database when new music is added in large collections is the killer?? My setup works fine with 25K tracks after all. If I force Roon to re-scan my extern collection it does it in pretty short time according to the stats in setup. Something ese must be going on…

I have been up around 400k tracks and for all the reasons noted by Roon (above) I run a Win64 NUCi7 with DAS (USB3.0).

No issues with speed, stability or updates. Sure it takes a while but 20mins not 3 days.

I used to run the same library from a powerful NAS, but, the scan times were longer and hated the lack of real-time library tweaks (due to poor SMB implementation in the NAS IIRC). I switched the NAS and DAS around so backup is NAS only. Roon runs off DAS. Performance is fine.

If you have 500k or 1000k tracks I would make sure they are not all in one folder and start afresh adding one chunk at a time with a DAS. 4x8TB Raid0 will probably do the trick.

FWIW I also trimmed the library back to 300k with further deleted still to do.

Don’t waste time trying to be a database expert here. Just implement the right config.

3 Likes

@ncpl

Thanks for your observations and comments.

I’ll try the USB3 DAS as I have a IcyDock RAID 8-drive box and a handful of 6TB WD NAS drives and compare the this implementation.

Don’t worry, I wasn’t wasting my time trying unravel the Roon database, just trying to get a handle on my problem.

It’s a real shame Roon do not disclose the limitations and recommendation for the system, especially with large music collections. It would help us all pick the best optimised system configuration for our needs.

Zera

Did I not do that above? You are using a NUC + NAS. You using a Honda to haul an elephant. A great Honda, but it’s the wrong tool for the job.

5 Likes