My First Roon Setup -- Need Advice

The new radio feature is totally the BOMB!! Roon keeps getting better and better! Thanks Roon Team!!:+1:

1 Like

Nice one :+1:t2:
Excuse my lack of knowledge, but what processor does your NUC 8 have?
Gotta admit, I admire those who have taken the DIY approach.

The processor of the NUC I chose is the Intel Core i3-8109U. It is supposed to be much faster than the NUC 7, even rivaling the NUC7 i7.
Admiration is too flattering ā€“ if I can do it, anyone can :slight_smile:

1 Like

We are here to help. If you can do a little Lego and follow a few instructions you can DIY too.

1 Like

Hey, to everyone interested in a follow-up on this: I have now successfully installed ROON! Had to wait for the Hifiberry (= 2nd part of my setup) for more than two weeks because I had ordered it directly from Switzerland and it was stuck in customs. Anyway, I followed the instructions to install Ropieee which worked perfectly! No problems whatsoever. My complete setup now looks as follows:

• NUC 8 i3 with external SSD directly connected to the Router (which sits in the basement)
  • Raspberry Pi with Hifiberry DAC+ Pro directly connected to Amplifier

Complete costs < 500 Euro. Sound: Fantastic!! I can only recommend this to anyone looking for a low budget entry point into Roon. You donā€™t need to be particularly tech-savvy, if you are not extremely untalented when it comes to tech, you will manage by following the instructions.

Of course, none of this would have been possible without the fantastic support of this wonderful forum. So thank you very much again everyone, this was great!!

5 Likes

Congratulations, that sounds like a fantastic set up. Enjoy!

Hey! Just a question off topic: is the HiFiBerry DAC better than an Allo Katana?

Hi Tim & the helpful contributors to this thread. Following your recommendation I felt motivated to also attempt to set up an NUC with ROCK. I already use a Raspi endpoint with Allo Boss Dac HAT running Roipee from a Mac but I did not feel comfortable doing this.

Anyway, also ordered an NUC 8 i3 ,series K version which is connected to a network switch and everything is now working well, with an external WD drive attached to the router.

I wouldnā€™t have chanced it without your thread or the well written Knowledge Base.

All the very best.

@Peter_Davies: What a wonderful post! It is so nice to hear that this thread helped you, although the credit clearly does not go to me as OP, but to have everyone who have been given such great advice! Glad you are enjoying your new system as much as I do!

By the way, I got my DX3Pro yesterday. So far Iā€™ve tried it with my Mac Pro (which doesnā€™t recognize it as an audio output when connected over USB), and my MacBook Pro (which does!). iTunes sounds great with my Sennheiser headphones over it, but I havenā€™t tried Roon with it yet.

User error. I had it connected to one of my Parallels machines instead of the Mac. Now playing mellow Stan Getz & Kenny Barron ā€œPeople Timeā€ over it, and waiting for the Qobuz launch.