My room sounds 2 dimensional?

They were added for movies. I own nothing I know of that is multi-channel audio.
I was noting that CCA vs Copper wires isn’t really much of a comparison.
The book arrived last night I’ll be reading it soon.

2 Likes

I have been reading a bit and moved my speakers some. They still aren’t in their final spot.
I decided to compare how my room measure without audyssey setup and with it.
The results are below. 1/12 smoothing. I would change the colors to something with contrast if I knew how.
I appear to have something odd happening between 35hz and 250hz.

It sounds much better which is the point. So thank you all so far.

2 Likes

You have SBR at those frequencies so the speakers are reacting with the room to cause a big bass increase at 60 and a big null around 40 and 200. The nulls you can’t really do much about as you can’t easily get rid of them without room mods, you can try and move the speakers to reduce or move it out of an area it causes issue as it reduces bass response . Bass peak is room resonance I have something similar. This you could use DSP to reduce or again room mods or find speakers that don’t excite around that area.

1 Like

Thank you I need to understand how I would introduce DSP into a system that does analogue as well. I like my older sources.
Integrated may not be working in my favor here.

This was my dilemma as well. I was using Roons DSP for a while with my old speakers but the lack of it for my TT was annoying. There are methods to get it into Roon but they where subpar and had an awful delay. I decided speaker swap was best policy. It doesnt make the issues go away as the room is the room and will always interact but choosing a speaker that works better or can be moved to a.postion that helps is half the battle. Mine work better close to that wall as they are a sealed box so no bass poet chuffing away and being closer also helps reduce SBR or at least moves it up the frequency band so I didn’t loose all my bass. It’s that or its by a MIni DSP device that accepts analogue and digital inputs.

Two things you could try.
1/ block your speaker ports with some sponge or something
2/ if your speakers are spiked or on solid then try something compliant underneath. Squash balls or sorbothane are cheap things to try.

1 Like

I inserted the inserts that came with the speakers. I just had to dig them out of the attic. The stands are using the rubber feet vs the spikes as it is hardwood floor.

I’ll give it another measure with REW this evening and compare.
Thank you for the ideas.

No problem. I’ll still go back to my initial comment that once you are happy with the sound, stop measuring/worrying and forget fiddling and play some music otherwise madness and money lie ahead.

3 Likes