Needing advice about Roon Core devices

What about this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NA98UZX/?coliid=I2NWKD4BU4W2AP&colid=VLXJVQTZNIDI&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_i

Should work.
I‘d still go for a NUC, though. Since ROCK is more or less designed for it, as a beginner you will probably have a more satisfying experience. Lots of NUC-ROCK-users here, too - for support. Ease of use, I‘d say.

Good luck.

1 Like

The endless parade of ideas on this forum is getting to you. No need for a NUC; you’re a lifelong Mac guy, why get one of these little under-engineered DIY computers? Stick with the Mini, which will work perfectly well.

I’d exercise some caution with respect to audiophile recommendations on streamers. In your configuration it doesn’t seem that you need one since your core is on the same machine you use for listening. Streamers are useful tools for architecting your system if you want additional listening zones. Raspi devices make terrific streamers in my experience. I have four of them running with most using Ropieee XL. Cheap and reliable. Although Roon recommends separating core and streamer, I haven’t seen any measurable differences.

If you decide you want to build your own core computer or want to learn more about Raspi streamers, I suggest checking out Archimago’s blog. He’s got a lot of information on what’s important and provides detailed measurements to show the performance. For now though, you can go a long way with Roon on your Macbook to learn what works for you.

2 Likes

Super simple solution is the Small Green Mountain sonicTransporter i5. More expensive at $995, but much less than Roon’s and it’s excellent.

I am late to this thread but I have a few unsolicited thoughts that are worth the paper they are written on

I have used an imac, Mac Mini, and Intel NUC that I rehoused in a fanless HD Plex case (which I have run on Roon OS, Windows, and now Ubuntu). I can safely say I have not heard any difference in sound quality in any of these applications. The only thing I would say is that I do not like using my core as my streaming device. I would separate the core from the streamer.

I also am not a fan of high-end streamers. They certainly don’t add much sound quality-wise, and they often even seem to lack bass. The Primare is very neutral but even a Sonos Connect Gen 2 (which does not have hi-res) sounds more neutral to me than the high end Arunders, etc. I also find that ethernet switches matter not. The digitial coaxial cable, DAC, pre/power, speaker cables and speakers are what matter. I also find for most DACs coaxial sounds significantly better than USB.

As for Raspberry Pi as a streamer, I think a good hat with a coaxial output and its own power supply sounds good. The Pi itself as USB output didn’t sound good to me, nor did a Hat that used the Pi power supply.

System:
MIchell Gyro SE with Ortofon AS212 and Koetsu Black Goldline
Synthesis Phono Preamp 79DC (Audio Note AN-V interconnects)
Sythesis A100 Titan Integrated Amp
Lector Digitube DAC (Audion Note ISIS interconnects)
Primare NP5/Sonos Connect G2/Mac Mini USB streaming
Intel NUC HDPlex fanless case Ubuntu OS Core
Harbeth M30

1 Like

I’d strongly recommend you follow the advice to simply use USB between your laptop and Shiit, and use Ethernet between Mac and router. I do this albeit on a Dell laptop and frankly it sounds incredible. My opinion is the more complex systems are for those with large person libraries, multiple DACs, old DACs with poor re-timing or those that feverently echo the outdated advice from Roon and these halls.

2 Likes

I’ve owned and used nearly every Mac based music software on the market. Sound quality is not the reason to buy Roon. Roon is a library management wizard, by far the best way to combine local and streaming library. For sound quality, Roon ranks middle of the pack at best. And it’s quite expensive, and resource intensive.

If you’re only using a streaming service, and don’t have the means for the substantial hardware investment required to get Roon to sound good, you’re better off with Tidal and a streamer or device that has Tidal Connect.

Or you can continue to play music off you’re Mac however you were before. Audirvana is another option that sounds better than Roon, though is not as advanced when it comes to library management. And it only costs $5.90 per month if you pay up front for a year.

But honestly, if sound quality is the priority, try Tidal Connect. What that means is that with a Tidal Connect enabled device, the music will stream directly to that device and avoid your Mac, iPad or iPhone entirely. Those Apple products will only be used to control playback, the music avoids them entirely.

The $399 IFi Zen Stream works extremely well with Tidal Connect if you can use the Zen Stream with Ethernet. And in my lengthy experience, the sound quality is simply better than Roon unless you have the resources to invest heavily in improving the Roon side of the equation.

It’s simply not worth paying Roon’s big price for sound quality, especially in a simple Mac based system.

Are you suggesting that routing Tidal data through a Mac based Roon core somehow degrades SQ, while using Tidal Connect does not? Given that the data is bit perfect in both cases (and assuming a properly isolated Roon endpoint, i.e. a networked device, not one that is directly attached to the core), how is this even remotely plausible?

3 Likes

I second that!

I’m tempted to say that Roon has nothing at all to do with sound quality. It just ships bits around. However, it does have a sophisticated (and optional, use it only if you want to) DSP component which allows you to “tune” each zone individually to the aural characteristics of the room and equipment in that zone. So, to that extent, Roon includes the capability of improving your end-listener experience.

I’ve been reading the iFi Zen Stream thread, and I’d personally be very wary of buying anything from iFi, based on that. [Edit] I see there’s now a Rudy-free Zen Stream thread? Mainly about MQA???

2 Likes

It isn’t…

Why not ???

I’ve compared various apps on various platforms to using Roon, and I cannot hear any differences in sound quality of other apps compared to Roon. They sound identical.

2 Likes

There was a quote going around Facebook, supposedly from Marcus Aurelius: “Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact.” How juicy! But apparently he never said that, even in translation.

1 Like

With the Bifrost, there’s no doubt the USB is the superior input, not the case with other DACs but I wouldn’t even think of running coax or RCAs.

But I’m seriously considering going in the direction suggested above by Dancing Seas - buy a Node or a Zen streamer. I’ve heard the new Node is very good, and would also give me more flexibility re streaming services (I still carry Spotify because my SO is on the plan and doesn’t have the same obsessive needs) in the future, ie Spotify Hifi. I’d gain the flexibility of using the ipad/iphones as controllers, and hit the mark of SQ I’m after. And either of them can be endpoints if I want to upgrade to Roon.
Was at a friend’s for NYE last night, we go there regularly for dinner and music. He hasn’t got a clue about streaming, uses a flip phone, and plays his well curated collection of CDs (thousands) through a Sony integrated and a pair of Bose 601s. At least he let me make him some decent speaker cables last summer, which helped things out a bit. It sounded great, always does. Is it audiophile? Far from it, but it’s great to read the CD notes and look at real album art, and I wouldn’t dream of suggesting he needs a good DAC (he does). He’s 74, he’s happy, and he knows more about music than I do by a long stretch. Made me take a breath and remember to keep it simple.
Having spewed all that, I really love the UI and information aspects of Roon, but a streamer seems to be the ideal solution for me. I’d really rather make my next big investment after that in a preamp (Freya+), then I’ll only need to find a core when the time comes to revisit Roon.
I’ve learned a hell of a lot here and really appreciate differing opinions and experiences presented in a civil way, something that is a breath of fresh air these days.

Haha. Sorry, misread your “it isn’t” as referring to my point about bit perfect data when, in fact, you were agreeing that a difference isn’t plausible.

1 Like

Wasn’t going to respond to this but… here I am :slight_smile: You’re not wrong but I’ll provide a counterpoint I don’t think many people think about.

Counterpoint: Sound Quality is absolutely a reason to buy Roon. Roon is one of the most transparent and accurate digital music playback architectures one can deploy and at reasonable cost. Is your playback system dull and lifeless? Roon will expose this in spades and to the frustration of a many users but truth is truth. True also if your system is bright and edgy digital sounding. Roon strives to deliver a bit stream of the highest accuracy to the widest range of endpoints without getting in the way. This is not the goal of other playback systems that use filters, DSP, etc to compensate for any number of audiophile hindrances bestowed upon us as gospel. Other playback systems are “colored” in the name of “Hifi” and I’m not interested in such coloration at these critical points within my playback chain. Roon is true to the digital playback chain and I consider that the highest sound quality possible when choosing a digital playback system. Long live Roon!

ok, I’m stepping down from my soapbox now.

9 Likes

Yes, I am saying precisely that. It’s because a consumer computer is noisy and ill suited for high level audio. It can sound good, but there is better sound to be found when you ditch the computer.

The caveat being you’d need to spend meaningful money on network switches, streamers and reclockers to redeem the fundamental woe that is a computer.

To the degree you’ll experience what I’m saying depends on how resolving your system is.

The Zen Stream is a TREMENDOUS device if you stay in the wired Ethernet and Roon or Tidal Connect lane. It competes well with streamers under $2000.

I suppose. But it does a lot of extraneous stuff – Roon Bridge and USB output is all I need – and costs 4x the price of a Pi. The cost/benefit evaluation doesn’t work for me.

1 Like