Networking infrastructure and Roon

Catching up on the network discussion…

In general – @Sevenfeet has it exactly right.

Where I live, Comcast is the only provider with decent speed. I could have a fallback provider and could tackle that and further network optimization like segmentation (putting things like video cameras and other IOT devices on their own vlan) but I haven’t gotten around to it. I may tackle it in the future when I have time. I am a CEO by profession by day and only a wanna-be IT expert at night :slight_smile:

But this discussion does bring up another couple of points about why I invested in this level of network infrastructure. So many of the problems in digital music tech are tied to network issues so I believe that it’s important to have a solid network infrastructure and if the device your connecting is important, hardwire it. You will save a lot of time an frustration IMHO if you do this.

Additionally, by investing in what would be called enterprise class equipment I can manage everything – switches and APs – with a single graphical user interface which Unifi has (no CISCO command line configuration for this guy). I can quickly check if all network gear is running properly, configure new gear or change the configuration of existing gear, address issues and automatically take care of firmware updates. Here’s one example of this – with a couple of button pushes, I can rescan my house and property for all competing wifi signals from neighbors that can interfere with my wifi and reconfigure my APs to optimal channels to avoid it. This is the kind of thing you can do with enterprise equip. If you have any network complexity at all that saves me a boatload of time and eliminates more pain. Making an investment in great networking infrastructure in the same way everyone here invests in audio gear will pay off IMHO…

PS. I made a few updates to my diagram to reflect some equip I left out in the first version…