New Mac mini core ordered; Repurposing old Mac mini core machine

I think the point is, you can play music files such as from thumb drives and hard drives, but you cannot play streaming music such as from a Roon core.

EDIT: Probably doesn’t matter what you call it. A USB input on a computer is usually for data. A USB input on an Oppo is usually for music (I’m guessing).

No, that is not what I wrote. Nobody calls a female USB A port on a computer an “audio” input. But you seem determined to do so on an Oppo BDP simply because the USB based file storage connected happens to contain some audio files.

AJ

Yes,sir, I know that. I also know that, when used as such, the usb a ports can be used as an audio input. That label seems to be the sticking point. I don’t see why AJ is so willing to argue about it, especially when I quoted from the OM.

A USB mass storage device (with audio files on it) and a USB audio port (using streaming audio) is simply something completely different, using different protocols, although the hardware connector is the same. You keep insisting on using the wrong words despite AJ trying to educate.

This is the most amazing argument.

I am in complete – complete – agreement that the USB A ports are not – not – audio ports of the sort that USB B ports are. And never will be. And that streaming is not possible using the USB As.

And yet, I am playing music, successfully and beautifully, from what you guys call a “mass storage device” – actually two – that contain music files into a “non audio port.”

Why are you guys so hung up my terminology? I have the temerity to call the input ports that I am playing hi-res music through “audio ports.” Shame on me. But, to me, if it walks like an “audio port” and it quacks like an “audio port,” I should have the latitude to call it an “audio port.”

From a technical, exacting, engineer level argument, you guys are correct. But when it comes to my house, my music, my equipment, who cares?

Lucky for me, “insisting on using the wrong words” is not a jailing offense.

So, tonight, I will play the files on my mass storage device through a data port. If I desire to play my music files through an audio port, I will be careful not to post about it or even say so out loud, for fear the terminology police might soon be at my door.

Can we just end this now?

You asked why AJ was arguing about it, I just answered that question. You can insist on calling a duck a goose in the face of the facts, but don’t be surprised if someone repeats that it isn’t. That’s all :slight_smile: