New Naim Atom Headphone edition

Yep, and Spotify will eventually be CD qualify. I just like immediately worrying about problems within hours of a new purchase…

Is there a box you know of that would accomplish this?

1 Like

Sorry, accomplish what? USB to spdif?

Yes, accept a USB feed and output via Coax.

Also if you want to use an iphone/ipad with usb you need a Lightning-to-USB -adapter ( most usb device will need this, but som like the ndac have direct support for Appple).

Also if you want to use an iphone/ipad with usb you need a Lightning-to-USB -adapter ( most usb device will need this, but som like the ndac have direct support for Appple).

I have been pointed to this before now, which looks interesting and I think it fits your need.

1 Like

This would do it - thanks!

Yes, but not if my iPad has a USB-C output rather than lightning, right? I use the Apple CCK where I have a lightning-output iPad.

Topping D10s DAC can convert USB to Spdif and it’s pretty cheap. Plenty of others around depends on how much you want to spend sky’s the limit. That cable wont work as its not got a protocol converter in it which is what’s needed, the DAP it’s for puts spdif out via the usb which is very uncommon. iPhone or iPad will use USB 2 Audio Class protocol and this needs converting to Spdif. You don’t want to skimp on the converter or you’ll get crappy spdif out and affect the sq. Don’t need to spend the earth but the Topping seems a good bet as it’s pretty good gear for little cost. Go cheaper at your peril.

1 Like

You need lightning to USB into converter then converter to Atom it’s a heath Robinson affair but the only way.

But would my signal be converted twice, once by the Topping and once by the Naim? Or since I’m using digital output would the Topping just act as a pass through?

Topping is just a passthrough protocol converter in this case. It’s a DAC when using analogue outs only which here you won’t be. Make sure it’s the 10s not the 10.

1 Like

Great solution should I ever need it - thanks!

1 Like

I am pretty sure Naim is working on adding Apple Music to their streamer range as one of the streaming options. Not sure when it will be available though.

BR,
Richard

1 Like

Really and why do you think that? What are your assumptions based on?

I don’t think Naim has ever mentioned this. The closest I’ve think I’ve seen is Naim mentioned they work closely with Apple and follow their rules about not displaying certain info on the screen. Not even sure why that’s a requirement.

Is there any other streamers that have done is? If this is officially done somewhere else, then it’s possible Apple would eventually allow Naim.

What would be nice is Apple released their Homepad handoff to third party streamers. Then this would function the same as Spotify and Tidal Connect and play natively on the streamer. Seems strange they have this separate handoff feature just for this tiny speaker but everything else needs to use AirPlay or AirPlay 2 (which is not currently lossless with Apple Music).

There is a USB C version available, I use one to feed my Audioquest Dragonfly Red

1 Like

No Balanced headphone output? Or have I missed it.
Its a lovely looking unit

EDIT its on the back, thats a game changer for me. Seems crazy

It has two balanced connectors 4.4mm on front XLR at back. The design of the Atom would not allow it on the front as it’s based on the standard Atom shell wise there just isn’t the room in that part of the unit.

1 Like