New Release Policy

Dear Harry, @spockfish

I’m a low intensity user but happy to switch to beta and help testing. I have a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.2, if that’s useful for your statistics. I bounce back and forth between homes: a NUC Rock in one place and a MAC mini at the other. You do great things, at your service to contribute if I can. If it helps with telemetry, I could send a log file or whatever. Will switch to beta channel when I see the project is going live. Best wishes for continued success.

alan

1 Like

Just saw this. Count me in with one of two PI3 units.

I felt for you over that new year release!
Hope a few donated to ease the pain.
Totally understand what you are saying re testing and I’m up for it. I just have the one unit but it’s still in a test case scenario before being deployed where my better half can use it. At that point I’ll stick to production :grinning:
One thought. If I recall correctly it has never been possible to roll back to a previous version? So if the same with the beta release if there are issues we ride it out until it gets fixed I think?
Anyway as ever your work is very very much appreciated and anyway to help I’m up for it.

I am in as well.

Hi @spockfish ,

I’ve been running the beta on a few units, as you know.

Despite the new release 2024.02.01 having a different builder number, am I correct that it’s the same release and I should leave my beta units on the beta channel?

Is it viable to keep the build numbering the same between beta/stable, or a consistent difference so we can tell at a glance which is which? (Like betas always being an odd number, and stable being the same number rounded up to an even number)

It is from a software component the same release (2024.02.01 == 2024.01.92), but it has been rebuild from scratch, so hence the buildnumber is different.

Whether you want to stay on beta or not, thats up to you :slight_smile:

But in general, the stable channel should never get ahead of the beta channel.

Thanks

1 Like

I planned to leave it on beta, was just confused by the significant change in build number (not sure how these are generated but had expected it to be close to or same as the beta one).

The numbers themselves are not important at all, just wanted the check they were the same code release. :+1:

1 Like

The buildnumber is increment with every build created, also my intermittent test builds (many!!!).
The version number is what’s important with respect to “what’s in it” - the build number is only for me to actually pinpoint the exact build.