New TIDAL tiers and MQA

I wonder when was the last time someone, or anyone, posted something new, different, or of value regarding MQA, either pro or con, on this forum? Seems like it’s way past time to put the MQA topic to bed on this forum. Go listen to what you like. It’s just a constant, never ending, tit for tat.

9 Likes

LOL! Impossible.

I’ve mentioned it several times on this and other forums and I’ve been running both Tidal and Qobuz for quite some time (recently ditching Tidal a little over a week ago). Every, and I do mean EVERY album I compare to, the version on Qobuz always sounds better.

That’s on both loudspeaker rigs, both headphone rigs, and streaming in the car.

2 Likes

I don’t think it matters any more. Whatever gets posted I don’t think anyone’s listening, even less thinking.

2 Likes

I’m just hoping Roon will eventually ban all talk of politics, religion, and MQA on this forum.

8 Likes

I do regular checking too. But I find Tidal better, though need Qobuz for its Classical catalogue. The question is why do they even differ?

1 Like

That’s the point. If they are truly lossless FLAC, they should sound the same regardless of who’s hosting the streaming, Qobuz, Tidal, Amazon, Spotify, etc, etc.

Theoretically, it should be the same exact FLAC file from the recording company that’s distributed to the various streaming services.

What we’re getting currently from these streaming services (or at least between Tidal and Qobuz) is the same thing as me going and buying the same exact CD album from Walmart, Target, Amazon, HD Tracks, etc, etc, and every single CD sounding slightly different depending on where it was purchased. It makes no sense.

This is just your opinion and has no more weight than mine which is that Tidal along with MQA sound sublime on my system. People will just have to decide for themselves and make a choice, then move on…

Welcome to the new world of streaming which is not the same as the old world of physical media. It is what it is, we listen we decide and we choose… You pays your money and you take your choice…

Well, Charles has obviously done some comparisons… Have you?

1 Like

I’ve been listening to music all my life, especially live music as I also play a little myself. So, my comparison is against what I would expect in the real world.
I have had the privilege of enjoying many fine musicians in very close up acoustic sessions, and as such I do know and understand what music should and does sound like.
Emily Barker, Brooks Williams, Tamara Stewart, Dennis Ellsworth, Stephen Fearing, Boo Hewardine, Lauren Housley are a few names that come to mind just now.
So when I play Tidal and especially MQA material, I am satisfied with the results…

1 Like

And yes, that is a highly valid experience. Still, no weight in a comparison between the two services though.

2 Likes

I would love to see Keith Richards signature on any document endorsing the MQA versions of his music. And Miles Davis’ for that matter.

5 Likes

Well, MQA studio doesn’t happen by accident

I’m not interested in two services, I’m interested in real authentic sound as I perceive it. So, on that score, for me, in my experience and with my experience, MQA on Tidal delivers…
you may think, experience and choose differently. That’s ok, in fact that’s brilliant as you have found what you are looking for… So, time to move on perhaps?

It didn’t bother them when it was sold on cassette or low bit rate iTunes for years though either.

1 Like

If Twitter is taken over by Israel vs Palestine discussion then it’s FLAC vs MQA that took over the Audiophile community. In between, I am just a confused soul who can’t differentiate between CD and MQA. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

That’s great to hear as it shows MQA is doing no harm to the music from your perspective, and that of many many others. Do you have an MQA DAC at all?

Hmm… Sound advise actually, too bad you’re not seeing the irony…

2 Likes

Everyone: let’s cool off a bit. Unless you have something new to add to this thread, back off and JUST DON’T POST.

6 Likes

Likewise here. Played violin and upright bass for years in orchestra and a jazz group as well as a 5-string electric bass, not to mention building, working on, tuning and playing pipe organs as well as playing piano since a kid.

In all of my experiences, MQA does not equal real world. Nor does Qobuz or any other recorded media for that matter. Those are not a valid comparison to anything recorded vs live.