New to Roon, Questions regards my exsisting set up and if it will work or do I need additional equipment

Thank you for info. I have the correct software . And did some reading :nerd_face:

1 Like

I understand the concept of core,control, and output. But where does Rock fit into this, I assume that includes a 4th component called the Roon OS?

No, when you have a NuC, you can install Rock as Roon OS, instead of Windows or Linux. On your laptop with Windows you just use the Roon software.

ROCK is a package that contains both a Roon Labs designed OS (based on Linux) plus the Roon Server software (containing the Core and Output components).

Is it only a NUC? Or any machine sans OS?

So you install the Bios updates and Rock. (does anything get installed after ROCK? Or does it also include Core, Control and output?

As is said in the articles in the Knowledge base for ROCK:

1. ROCK is designed for particular models of the Intel NUC range. You can try installing it on other hardware, but it’s at your own risk, and Roon Labs won’t support it. Folks who do this are tinkerers, and they have their own thread where they exchange experiences…
  1. As I said in the post above, ROCK is a package that includes the OS and Roon Server, which does NOT include the Control component of Roon.

My $.02: your setup will work fine although you may see your i3 challenged to do any massive DSP or other processing, DSD conversion, etc. But you’ll know if and when you hit that ceiling.

If and when you become a Roon fanatic, you will probably want a more powerful core and would upgrade your PC to something with more power and maybe out of audible range of your stereo system - it doesn’t have to be electrically quiet as long as it is not your primary endpoint.

You’ll probably also want an output endpoint (i.e. device connected to DAC) that is electrically quieter than a laptop. There are small RAAT friendly devices that do this or you could use a low power, no moving parts type of PC thing, or Raspberry Pi, etc.

None of this is necessary to make Roon run at 98% of its potential. That last 2% is when you’re working on getting a pitch black audio background and that last bit of musical detail. Many never go that distance, but from a tweaker standpoint, my guess is that’s where you would head.

The topicstarter uses a windows laptop, so no Rock os is needed. Just the plain Roonsoftware which can be found here https://roonlabs.com/downloads.html Choose the one with control, core and output.

great responses thank you so much. So here is where i am at.

I have a less than optimal machine. (PS I do not expect to do any DSP) A Dell i3 Laptop. I would only like to use it temporarily before I get a better machine. I have decided I don’t want to go with a NUC/Rock. I want to go with all in one Roon.

Question is what brand/model/type machine do I get? Is an i5 good enough?

Thanks all.

How big is your library expected to be over time (i.e. number of albums or tracks, both local and via TIDAL)? A Core i5 machine would certainly cover you at the moment, I would think.

You may want to check out this post:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/suggested-hardware/90/20

1 Like

OK I just read it, good info, my library is “small” <1000 albums. I have a 2tb drive. Eventually I see myself streaming Qobuz and only purchasing a small amount of files. From what I read the i3 may work fine but it is now a SQ issue. The laptop has a touchscreen which many have said contributes a lot of noise. So an i5 should suffice for quite a while. Do I buy a machine with linux? Windows?

I would really question the whole touchscreen SQ thing. Also I run a really cheap i3 and it copes just fine. You have got a good DAC so IMHO you are good to go.

you would or wouldn’t question the touchscreen SQ issue?? Looks like you meant to say I should be fine regardless. One of the things I am thinking is that purists say that with windows there are lots of processes running in the background that affect SQ. my strategy is to use Fidelizer to minimize those for improved SQ.

An people obsess about all sorts of things with regards to SQ. My advice would be to ask yourself if you are happy.
If you listen to the internet or even this forum you should be

1. in Linux or ROCK due to lower number of processes
  2. Be on battery power as mains is bad
  3. Have regency, reclockers, reshapers at every interface
  4. Only listen to 24 but 192 files
  5. Etc etc
    Loads of people use touch screen devices and find no problems, when we ran in 486 processors then threads were bad but modern processors get lonely from lack of use. Also, I think your DAC is an auralic if I remember, you think those clever guys didn’t build with signal, power grunge in mind?
    Start simple would be my advice then listen and then experiment after.
1 Like

Ha ha well, I understand your point, this can be done in phases. Im certain I can enjoy as is. Sounds very good now. I’ll just use Fidelizer and Roon on my current PC for a while.

Over time when I get a new machine I can reinstall on new machine. the only thing is if I purchase Roon (Windows) can I download for Linux later? probably have to pay for it or stay with one OS.

You’re purchasing a license to use Roon Core, not a particular software package. You can always transfer your license between software environments/machines.

1 Like

I looked up the RAAT and I notice that my DAC (Auralic Original version silver) is not listed. Only the G1 and G2 are listed. Is the Auralic ok to use?

Any DAC is fine. Some are fully tested and certified.
Look up “roon ready”

Actually DACs are not Roon Ready that’s for endpoints using RAAT, DACs are Roon Tested.

So I have been in touch with a retailer and it looks like a Nucleus would work well in my system. I love the fact that it is good for technologically challenged people like me, but will it sound any better than a three hundred dollar dell laptop? seems obvious but…