New User needs advice on hardware

Sure, understood. I didn’t realize Roon would see the Rock as endpoint.

1 Like

My store doesn’t have a Magnolia. I can drive 100 miles to see Mcintosh, B&W, and other high end stuff. Obviously, there are not enough of us buying this stuff to make it worth having a store front.

I should point out that the HDMI entry in Settings - Audio - device setup - does list my Denon as unidentified. There is a list of options to identify your device but Denon is not there. I’m guessing there would be some Roon magic going on if the device was identified. Perhaps some communication that would improve device interaction, maybe sound quality. I believe HDMI is required to get the NUC/Rock or Nucleus to send multi-channel signals. I do get multi-channel if the music file is recorded that way.

We do have a small store close by that carries the very high-end equipment you mentioned or can order it. They have several demo rooms setup to test-drive the equipment and they do design and custom installations. I’ve purchased a good amount of equipment from them over the years and have a good relationship with them. I always check there first to keep the business local even if the price is a little higher.

But like you said, not enough of us interested in specific stuff to keep a big place profitable.

You can setup other systems with ROCK just to act as endpoints and not servers, but, that is not the best way to do things; as multiple servers could mess things up. Better to setup a small PC running windows or linux with RoonBridge; which is the software to turn any Pc into an endpoint without having to load all of Roon. Works fantastically.

Can I add bridge software to my rock and use one NUC for both?

Not needed as the “bridge software is already part of ROCK”. However, ROCK does not allow the addition of any other software anyway, so you could not do that.

The reason not to use ROCK’s willy nilly is that you do not want to litter the network with servers.

Thanks so let me be clearer. I have one NUC, dedicated to being rock core. Can I plug it in to my avr via hdmi 0 and skip buying a dedicated endpoint? That would be great.

The only way to answer that, for sure, is to try it and see. Or someone with that same exact AVR model could tell you.

ROCK via HDMI to AVRs, has worked for others on Denon AVRs, for example. I could not find any other posts on the forum detailing your model and ROCK.

ROCK runs on a modified and locked down Linux configured with a base set of drivers; and no way to load additional. So, if it works… it works! :smiley:

I think that will probably work. I have a Roon Nucleus and plug in my Oppo 203 using HDMI. Although the Oppo is a Roon ready endpoint when connected using ethernet, it is a direct HDMI connected device when directly connected by HDMI.

When I had an amp :roll_eyes:, it was an Onkyo Av amp Trx 800 ?

Streamed to Cambridge Audio CXN into Cd analog input ran pure. Then a Mede8er 800 running video

I “downsized” and use headphones for serious stuff and. Samsung 950 soundbar to run Atmos etc for video and general audio. The CXN goes through the Aux input

@Peter_Rustin, I can’t think of any reason why the NUC or Nucleus HDMI to your Yamaha receiver would not work. Bad cables or connectors would be an exception. If both devices follow the HDMI protocols or standards the connection should work fine. Only way to verify is try and see. Doesn’t sound like it will cost anything since you already have both devices.