New (was back in 2021) iFi Zen Stream device

You can try updating your IP to have Google DNS but I am not sure that will help.
They aren 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

I previously had this problem, but the beta option fixed it. Others have tried fixed IP and Google DNS.

Give it a try, factory reset and trying the beta also worth a go. Otherwise look at getting hold of iFi support, I believe there are downloads that are not publicly available that support may be able to help with

Hi Micheal,

Like I said before, I wanted a second amp to connect to my Anthem AVR to drive the Front speakers to free up the AVR to give more power to the surround speakers and give me better sound on the fronts when listening to stereo music. I looked at a few basic amps to do just that. My previous Marantz system we did that and it made a big difference. So after much research and thought I ended up buying a McIntosh Integrated amp. The other reason was I could now hook up my CD, Turntable, and iPod dock to the McIntosh. Well, I can’t believe the sound improvement was substantial, but I did take a big hit to my wallet!

1 Like

I use a Macbook as a roon core and controller. Should I hook it to my wireless access point with ethernet cable or use wifi connection? And does the ethernet cable affect sound quality??

Definitely Ethernet, Roon do not recommend running the Core on WiFi.
This forum is littered with threads from people who try this.

It can run this way with the right hardware, but does not often run well.

1 Like

We have completed our testing and found to have the same problem while trying to reset the device.

We have replaced the PCB and all is now in working order.

Your device has been re-packaged and prepped for shipping.

That was pretty painless.

2 Likes

Well better if it didn’t fail, but a quick turnaround to be fair

1 Like

I forgot about that option! (Though using one on my NAS). How was the difference in SQ?

On its own in the Pi there was no discernable difference when using the Jitterbug, but when used with a good quality Audioquest usb cable and a iFi iPower there was a good uptick in performance from the Pi enough that even my wife noticed.

There was a more noticeable difference when I used it in my PC running Rock for a short time, that maybe to do with the noise from the PC, but overall the Pi just sounded better after the changes and allowed me to get the PC out of my living/listening room as Roon recommended.

Then I bought a Mini I Pro 3 and Stream/DAC and the Pi’s have been repurposed/Spare awaiting other uses.

2 Likes

So it has been 11 days since I was told the item was being shipped. The carrier is still awaiting the shipment.

iFi has closed the case and no longer replies.

It was such a feel good story until now too. :confused:

Oh that is poor Paul.
Maybe on a literal slow boat from China :roll_eyes: :see_no_evil:

I sent it to Boston for repairs. that boat is going to be very slow on land getting it to the west coast. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Maybe testing out the Northern corridor with all the Global warming…
Might just have picked the wrong time of year though :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Hello,

I have just purchased a zen streamer to replace my node 2021.
I use the coax output of it connect to a Buchardt i150 amp. The amp has an ES9028PRO DAC built in. I guess it can handle dsd format, but only when the usb input is used.
The zen is configured to dop. When I play dsd files on Roon there is no sound at all. It seems that Roon does not convert it to pcm. I cannot find any further settings in Roon regarding this.
Strange thing is that before I upgraded the zen to the latest fw I could play dsd files with Roon.
The zen is set to aio. roon and airplay are turned on in settings.

1 Like

Check the Device Setup in Roon, there you have “DSD playback strategy” option when you can set your preferred approach to DSD.

I have tried that, but there is no such option there. There was before I updated the zen’s fw.

I’m still staying on an older firmware version. That why I still have this option. Sorry.

I have created a dsp for dsd files to convert them to 192khz, so now all of them can be played.

You have to go to iFi.local now and set DOP there
Just have a look at the screenshot below and see if that helps.

1 Like

Thank you. Yes, I checked that earlier. Actually I cannot even select the dsd direct option.

I guess that makes sense if you are outputting through SPDIF then I do not think you can not use Direct DSD only DOP from memory.