New (was back in 2021) iFi Zen Stream device

I sent it to Boston for repairs. that boat is going to be very slow on land getting it to the west coast. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Maybe testing out the Northern corridor with all the Global warming…
Might just have picked the wrong time of year though :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Hello,

I have just purchased a zen streamer to replace my node 2021.
I use the coax output of it connect to a Buchardt i150 amp. The amp has an ES9028PRO DAC built in. I guess it can handle dsd format, but only when the usb input is used.
The zen is configured to dop. When I play dsd files on Roon there is no sound at all. It seems that Roon does not convert it to pcm. I cannot find any further settings in Roon regarding this.
Strange thing is that before I upgraded the zen to the latest fw I could play dsd files with Roon.
The zen is set to aio. roon and airplay are turned on in settings.

1 Like

Check the Device Setup in Roon, there you have “DSD playback strategy” option when you can set your preferred approach to DSD.

I have tried that, but there is no such option there. There was before I updated the zen’s fw.

I’m still staying on an older firmware version. That why I still have this option. Sorry.

I have created a dsp for dsd files to convert them to 192khz, so now all of them can be played.

You have to go to iFi.local now and set DOP there
Just have a look at the screenshot below and see if that helps.

1 Like

Thank you. Yes, I checked that earlier. Actually I cannot even select the dsd direct option.

I guess that makes sense if you are outputting through SPDIF then I do not think you can not use Direct DSD only DOP from memory.

I have replaced a 2021 node upgraded with a dp creative power unit used with a linear ps and I have to say that the zen with the ifi elite ps is an incredibly better sounding device.

Thank you guys, this forum made me make the decision :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The Zen Stream is one of the most amazing devices I’ve come across in my HiFi journey of almost four decades, it can run with the big boys and outpace many of them. It simply has no right sounding as good as it does for the asking price, or maybe it’s the other way around. Compared to the Bluesound node, well there’s no comparison TBH, I keep telling people and most will just dismiss the advice, to their detriment.

8 Likes

Today my new device arrived. They said forget it and just shipped a whole new setup. It was already flashed to the latest firmware for me and found my USB device no issues.
Other than it being lost in space for 2 weeks, a pain free process for a failure.

7 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: Which NUC Should I Choose

This is why I wouldn’t touch it,to release a brand new streamer /dac with the same old.kernel is crazy,but I’m not surprised

Thought it may be of interest that PS Audio recommends the Zen Stream as a network audio transport solution, for those who had doubts about the sound quality of this nifty device!

4 Likes

I got the Topping P50 (15v) made a big improvment for a reasonable price.
Topping P50 Linear Power Supply for Topping D50/D50s/DX3 Pro/A50 https://a.co/d/6cBKhkI

Works great using Roon.

Hello, after reading and reading I finally ordered a Zen Stream. If I may ask, would make sense to connect the zen stream via ethernet directly to my m1 Mac mini core? Using an usb c to ethernet for Mac mini to be connected to LAN and use the LAN connection on the mini to go to Zen stream. Sorry if this was discussed and I have not seen.

1 Like

Hi Traian and welcome to this thread.

The Stream needs to be on Ethernet (or WiFi) so if your Mac M1 is your Roon Core then you will ideally plug them into the same switch (WiFi work’s but it is not as stable based on all our combined testing) or another switch elsewhere in your house.

You will then output to your DAC via USB or SPDIF whichever you prefer (or have) and have wonderful music playing.

If you’re currently running only on WiFi then try the Stream on WiFi as it will need an IP address to function. You will also want to get the latest firmware update as soon as possible in case it is on an older firmware release.

2 Likes