New (was back in 2021) iFi Zen Stream device

The Holo maybe but the cost differential is almost 300% for that and 400% for the Neo.
All depends on what you want to spend.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for this, just ordered one :+1:t2:
Rob

4 Likes

If, in the end, all your music listening will be exclusively consumed through the Roon architecture, then thereā€™s really no easier streamer to setup and forget IMO. Iā€™ve had my STREAM since the beginning of the year with no issues except for the ones I cause through tinkering. I should say my system is quite meager though, with the STREAM fed via USB to a Gustard X16 DAC. Thatā€™s all attached to a Yamaha RX-V6A with a pair of Klipsch KLF20s and a pair of SVS SB3000s, so obviously someone with more equipment to deal with may have more difficulty and hiccups. Just my 2 bucks.

5 Likes

Are people leaving the Stream powered on or on only while playing?

I left mine on a few days ago and it became non responsive and i had to pull the power to reboot.

I leave mine on 24/7. Iā€™ve not had a problem.

1 Like

I have started to turn mine off when not in use as it is now in a different room of the house and used a little less.

1 Like

Is it ok to get warmish? what power do you use? Now I have a iPowerx 12v. The Zen Dac powered via usb it was warm to hot, after upgraded to 9v ipowerx was cold all the time. 200M was warmer but after switch to fixed mode now it is cold.
Thanks, hope it was not answered

1 Like

I went from the 15v standard PSU to the 12v iPower X and I find it cooler to the touch.
Now that I swapped the MA Mini I Pro 3 with the Zen neither get as much play as I am in the office most days. So I turn them both off when not in use
Both work great and would be happy with either

3 Likes

Question; I had a Zen Stream and returned it. I was using it USB out to Denafrips Iris, I2S to Pontus II. I used it hardwired in AIO mode with Roon (because I found all other options sucked), and I simply went to the unit and flipped the toggle switch in the back to Roon exclusive mode and the result was no sound. Apparently it defaulted to coax. I tried opening device set up in Roon and it didnā€™t allow me to switch output. I tried opening the iFi app and it crashed about 10 times. Is this consistent with you allā€™s experience? Work arounds? Iā€™d like to use it but found UI to be terrible.

Yes I think the same, it is not the most intuitiveā€¦

In mode 2, roon mode the device setup it is locked to spdif, to switch output you have to open the ā€œdevice infoā€ not ā€œdevice setupā€. That gives you a splash screen with info and a link to the web interface for iFiā€™s roon where you can change the output. Just to be sure, this is not working for you? here are some screen shots just in case:

the ZS in the audio settings in roon:
Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 06.10.08
this device info:
Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 06.00.06
the screen device info is opening:
Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 06.00.17
the web interface:

here I can change the output:
Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 06.11.23

Hope this is your problem and it helps

edit: now I had time to search for it, here is a far better explanation than what I managed New (was back in 2021) iFi Zen Stream device - #2400 by Steven_Klemow

2 Likes

This was due to a firmware change, and in the middle of this thread there is a long discussion about this change which was very difficult for people to work out.
But yes a lot of people had this issue at that time and it needed everyone to understand how to make it work and why Coax was made the default device output.
What @Traian_Boldea has pointed out is exactly right, and it was not a good decision in my mind

2 Likes

Thank you and @Michael_Harris for taking time to reply, both comments are helpful. The link to @Steven_Klemow set up guide is fantastic and I wish Iā€™d seen this before! I have since bought a Naim ND5 XS 2 but itā€™s a euro version (didnā€™t think about that when I ordered it) so I am waiting on a step up converter. Now I am reconsidering my who digital side, not sure I am excited to implement a converter into my system. Anyway, thanks again.

3 Likes

Mine keeps going unresponsive.
Seems OK playing music but if you leave it for a period itā€™s powered on but you canā€™t turn it off and software does not see it. The only option is the pull the power.
Iā€™ve done a hard reset on Ifi for some reason wanted me to use the bricked tool which I have questioned.

Hi Phil
I have to say I have never seen that with my unit running on Ethernet. Are you running Ethernet or WiFi?

Also AIO mode or ROON only mode?

Iā€™m on ethernet and AIO mode, Iā€™ve turned my LMS server off after a trial and play so I could put it back in Roon mode and see if it makes any difference.

1 Like

I have tried, mine didnā€™t freeze (Iā€™ve tried over night). If you canā€™t turn it off, roon does not see it, can you access it via a web browser? (in AIO = ip adress, in Roon mode ā€œipadressā€:3100)

2 Likes

Phil as Traian said try and do some basic testing, such as
ping ifil.local
(from the command prompt or shell on Windows or Mac)

also http://ifi.local from a Web Browser (while in AIO mode).

This will give an idea if it is a Zen/Roon issue or if the device is just crashing/dropping off the Network

1 Like

Iā€™ll give that a try, but last time the app did not see it and it would not power down.
So far today its stayed up today.

2 Likes

Crashed again
Iā€™ve changed the ethernet cable which is OK as Iā€™ve installed it on my NAS.
Does not respond to ping or visible in iFi app or Roon.
Router shows disconnected, Ethernet port lights flashing.
Power and Network light on, power switch non responsive.
Dac has powered off as it canā€™t see anything from the Stream.
Pulling power only way to restore

Iā€™m logging it all on my iFi service request and have requested a refund but they are not responding
other than asking me to run the un-bricking process which Iā€™m reluctant to try, Iā€™ve already done a hard reset.

Feels like that could be a hardware issue.

Soundā€™s like you are working your way through the right checkā€™s, I canā€™t see what else you can look at (duplicate IP address, but that would be more obvious I think).

You can always try a different port on the switch, but that is more like preying for help

1 Like