New (was back in 2021) iFi Zen Stream device

What option do you have the dial set to, 1 for all services?
Go back through ifi.local and see what if anything needs changing/disabling and then go back into Roon->Settings->Audio and enable the device again as it might need it after a factory reset

Hopefully this will help you get there

i can not log into ifi.local. can not find server message. tried many times. can you send me a link that will work. i have the mode set to no.2 since i am using roon now. i will switch back to AIO. whats going on with ifi.local? thanks.

Rudy it is just the IP address of the iFi server.
Go to Settings->Audio In Roon and get the IP address as below and put that into your device.
Again assuming you are connected still via Ethernet otherwise it will be in WiFi pairing mode waiting for you to connect to it and change any settings.
If you cannot find that look at your DHCP server to see what address it is at, and check the wheel on the back to make sure it is still set to 1 (just in case)

Personal experience shared here, so please keep that in mind. I am a customer of iFi and own several of their other products (iFi Zen DAC, iPower 2, iPower Elite). Those products have exceeded my expectations at the price point.
Now, I was had an early order for the Zen Stream and got one several months ago.
I was looking to replace my Bluesound Node 2i, which I am using ONLY as a streamer, with Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ as external DAC.
Almost nothing worked right on the iFi ZS. The USB output, which is one of the reasons I wanted this (Node 2i doesn’t have it), did nothing. I never got any output and showed No Lock on my Mytek.
I also had problems playing ANY music at 24/192kHz. Music would ‘break up’ and stutter.
I did check the power supply, and it was well within the required specs. I opened a ticket, but they wanted me to ship the unit to them for ‘review’ and frankly, I was still in the trial period so I returned it.
I ordered the new Bluesound Node and am very pleased with using that as a streamer only.

3 Likes

There definitely appears to be two distinct user experience on this unit.
Either they work perfectly right out of the box or they do just about nothing correctly.
Not many grey areas of usage it seems.

My first unit fell under the latter category and yes I returned it for full refund within trial period.
After reading satisfactory results from quite a number of members here I tried again shortly afterwards.

This time it was perfect right out of the box, streaming Roon within about 3 minutes of power on.
Using both USB and spdif output both at 24/192 with zero issues and the sq is mighty fine to my ears.

So… Quality control problems maybe?

Just some rogue units still being shipped?

2 Likes

Gary we appreciate your feedback as this is a source to help prospective buyers and there were a lot of problems early on.
While some of these have gotten better quickly, some like power supply issues still persist.

For me it has been a great device so far, but I feel it was released a bit early to market and could have done with another 6 months of development.

I still want Chromecast to be delivered but as a Roon endpoint feeding two Dac amps it has been fantastic. USB and SPDIF output perfect and running DSD256 through USB and 24/192 throughout SPDIF.

1 Like

As well as the screen @Michael_Harris shared what do you see if you go to settings…about?

This is what I see and if you can see the IP address of the iFi Stream all you need to do is enter that in your browser( providing all your devices on same local network) and it should bring you to the iFi-local page.
Here you can check for updates, enable usb etc.

just got this again.

Add images

also no ifi in roon core search.

Rudy this is not a Zen issue, it is a Roon message.

I assume you are a Tidal user.
This is common and usually means one of two things.

1. You have another device with Tidal on that has started playing.
  2. Your account has been hacked, this was really common over the last couple of year’s.

Regardless I would change my Tidal password just in case.

1 Like

today i tried playback to the Ifi Zen Steam from my iPhone only using your App. rather than useing the macbook pro. this was proved successful for about half the album. than it paused and i got a message “playback was paused because you are playing on the web” really? i had the MacBook shut down. the message said “tap anywhere to resume playback” i did and it did not start to play. showed that the Ifi stream icon still displayed on the iPhone. oh well. please help me with this. you guys are way smarter than i am. thanks.

Rudy see my post above.
There was a huge illegal market for selling Tidal and Spotify logins (they were both susceptible to dictionary and brute force attacks).
We had lot’s of people complaining about this in lockdown so you might want to try that, especially as it was telling you it was being played from the Web.

I might well be wrong but you can only have one stream running at a time, so I would change my password anyway.

thanks, i will go into my Tidal account and change my password. see if that helps.

Let’s hope it does, at least you can get back to testing then and enjoying some music

When I was hijacked on Spotify I could not even change my password as it told me the account was not mine any longer!
I had to call Spotify customer service who were actually excellent BTW, and once I gave them some of my personal information to identify myself as rightful owner they restored it.

I hope you don’t have same issues at Tidal as their customer service may leave something to be desired!

Good luck!

2 Likes

Got a new Keces P8 LPS for my desk setup and it’s another level of sound quality upgrade. It has more dynamics comparing to the iPower Elite. Smoother treble , deeper bass and again darker background. Very clean sounding. If any of you guys planning on a LPS purchase, I will suggest you to do it. It’s really that good! I never imagined the Zen Stream will perform at this level when I bought it. Now I am curious to compare it with the SoTM SMS-200 Ultra!

3 Likes

I’m not a big LPS guy, but I gotta say, that P8 looks pretty sweet. Congrats, and thanks for sharing.

1 Like

well changed my password, logged out, logged back in. the album played almost to the end and then it disconnected again.

Add images

Very nice and glad to hear it made such an improvement 4 you. You are the second or third person to have said that an LPUS made a big improvement to the Zen

1 Like

I did receive the iFi Power X yesterday.
My God it’s fugly!!
Honking big white thing that’s hard to hide or fit into a power outlet strip.

It’s 12v/2.0a so way overkill for the ZS.

Did I hear any difference?

Nope…oh well it’s peace of mind and it was cheap so…

2 Likes

Is this the same for Roon or just Tidal connect. Issue. I have not listened to more than a few tracks on Tidal connect on the Zen, I will try something later.

Was it this same message about playing from elsewhere?

Have you also tried Spotify or anything else