New (was back in 2021) iFi Zen Stream device

Oh I checked last night and I didn’t see an update so I try again tonight

I disagree. I saw similar behavior before replacing the original power supply. The voltage gradually drops until the unit malfunctions or shuts down. It could take up to three hours in my case, but I had the 9V supply. May take longer with the 12V.

This is easily verified using a digital multimeter.

Edit: attempting a firmware update or factory reset while using a faulty power supply is likely to brick the device.

1 Like

Very tempted by this streamer, but is there a mean to remote control Roon by IR, like Flirc on a Raspi Roon bridge ? This is almost a nogo for me if not.

Jean you are using Roon to control it, or Tidal connect, Spotify Connect etc
I have just started using @DrCWO RooNuimo extension with the Nuimo remote control for Roon and this streamer from within Roon.

It is a fantastic device and the software works great.

Have a look at the RooNuimo page for more information. There’s also the surface dial and one other remote.

1 Like

My understanding of Rudy’s post is that he tried another PSU but didn’t experience a shutoff like before, instead, he had other problems. To be honest, I’m still not clear what PSU he’s using, whether it is the “supplied” PSU or one he had subsequently purchased (ipower?). I thought ipower PSUs were included with all ZS.

After returning the A&K Kann Alpha I have tried for not being up to scratch I might look at one of these or go for the Matrix Mini Pro. @Michael_Harris how does it compare to the Matrix?

Simon I really like both devices, I bought the Matrix to be my long term streamer/Dac/Pre Amp to feed my next Amp via XLR and a headphone amp as well and it does all wonderfully.
For me though it is missing native Chromecast (feeding it via optical via old CC audio) and Tidal and Spotify connect to be a complete device. Though as a Roon Streamer it is top notch and that is over 90% of my listening in the living Room.

I bought the Zen on a whim expecting to return it after a couple of quick positive early reviews, but it is now firmly in place in my study feeding my Zen Dac and another headphone amp via SPDIF.

If you are just looking for a streamer to feed a DAC I think the Zen Stream is an excellent Roon ready device, there are definitely other areas it needs work in terms of other services (still no CC support and a lot of streaming services get broken by firmware updates). If you use HQP it’s also great so a couple of ticks there, and it also has SPDIF and USB so can feed almost anything.

If you’re looking for something more then the MA Mini I-Pro 3 is great but it’s almost 3 times the price. I think that fits in the same area as the Zen Stream plus the Zen Dac Signature 2 and the Zen Can signature 2 at about £1k and I imagine the Zen setup will come out slightly ahead but it’s 3 boxes compared to the all in one nature of the MA (which is why I chose it).

Hopefully I said something useful in that rambling response.

1 Like

How does this compare to a NUC or a RPi given the same attached DAC?

I’m trying to see if there is any value add to someone who already has a different transport. E.G. Will an iFi Zen → (My DAC) sound vastly better than intelNUC||RPi4 → (My DAC)

Thanks, something to consider.

Yes, I am well aware. I already use Roon, with an Usbridge + Ropieee + Flirc and it is far more easy and quick to grab my remote to pause, stop or skip track than grab my tablet, unlock it, a little moment for Roon to reconnect, and at last hit “stop”. The recent lock screen panel is better for this matter, but still less convenient.

1 Like

I have not heard a streamer at that price or close to it that sounds better.

1 Like

Hi Paul
I think both David’s have said how good it sounds in the past and have more experience of better DACS and amps than me.

For me it sounds better than my Pi’s that it replaced. But the Pi’s are great devices and I will always keep them around.
It’s more like a Pi with a good power supply and a USB noise suppressor (Jitterbug for me) with an expensive USB cable, and the stream is still slightly better

2 Likes

Well, “vastly better”, probably not.

The question is if it’s enough better to justify the $399 spend. That really depends on the individual and the DAC, but I can say this: I bought the ZEN Stream and have no regrets. :wink:

3 Likes

hello
i bought a separate 12v. i-power at the same time i bought the Zen. i expeirenced connection problems so i switched over to the 12v. included in the box. surprisingly better connection stability? still some issues and i am continuing to test. last night i just left the Zen on but without streaming. this morning all light out, does the Zen have an automatic power down circuit if not in use? i may get a I-power X, i am hoping that this would provide for better output regulation and voltage stability? not sure if i should get the 12v or 15v version? heard some good things about it. new problem today. Zen Stream not sending signal to DAC, but both lights are on?

Love my ZS but today I observed something weird. The music stream quality light is off but the ZS is streaming music. Hope the LED didn’t say goodbye on my unit. My ZS feeds directly into my Rotel A14 MKII with TI DAC and it sounds fantastic.
Anybody had this problem?

Marco it has been mentioned before that if your press the right hand button it turns off the lights. I can’t remember if it is the short press or a long press to turn it back on.

When I short click on button both lights go off. If I click again then both turn on but the one for kHz turns off. But music is streaming at CD quality. OK, just restarted the ZS and everything is back to normal. Probably just a glitch :slight_smile:
Thanks Michael.

1 Like

Just an update, still nothing from iFi. My ticket was put in 2 weeks ago and they got back to me once asking what firmware I was on and then nothing. Seems like they are overwhelmed with issues right now with their latest firmware update. Even talked to one of their reps on audiocircle and he can’t get them to respond to issues either. Love being a beta user…

Sad but I have felt that besides Roon and HQP is does have a serious Beta feel.
As that is what I am primarily using then I am happy with it. But the other stuff should not be advertised as working in it’s current state or should be flagged as a beta feature

1 Like

I just asked them a question about updating in the beta channel when using Roon exclusive mode - which turns off the GUI. They wrote back and said they can’t answer questions about the beta channel. What?