New (was back in 2021) iFi Zen Stream device

With Tidal’s tiny market share I’m not sure if this is really an issue, or just the long time new products take to develop. It seems a tick box exercise now and maybe in a year there will be less products, but those that have them will still have MQA support and as someone who owns 3 devices I have no issue with that.
I stay away from any MQA when I buy music though, so not like I am a fan and all that.

1 Like

Unfortunately Qobuz does nor exist in my country, so tidal is the only option for me in roon.

2 Likes

In my country, too, officially does not exist. I buy accounts on Tidal&Qobuz for three months. And who is it easy for now??

2 Likes

By the way, Roon with Tidal&Qobuz work perfectly on Zen. The official firmware is from January, you don’t need another one. All the best and peac(Z)e!

1 Like

There has just been an update (v2.31.7) but I am off the network.
Do you have the change log ?

There are complaints about not defining USB. We’ll wait…

All it said was updates for some Roon runtime issues. Some issues still persist, which are discussed earlier in this thread.

I just updated my ZS and this is what it said (going from 2.30.7 to 2.31.7):

Roon Ready certified, added MQA authenticator, optimised USB DAC hotplug detection, added system Auto Update switch, optimised ssl verification of internet radio, changed Format/Freq LED colors so as to be compliant with MQA’s UI indication: Yellow 44/48kHz, White 88/96/176/192/352/384kHz, Cyan DSD64/128, Red DSD256, Green MQA, Blue MQA Studio, Magenta Original Sample Rate(OFS).

2 Likes

Hey all,

Today Roon upgraded the 2.31.7 version from beta to stable. I verified this by reverting to factory and reinstalling from scratch. I’m looking now to see whether the existing bugs were corrected before doing this and will follow up shortly…

1 Like

I can confirm that as I turned mine on and tested the update option and instead of getting the usual message that the new firmware is lower than my current version, I was told that it was up to date.
There also does not appear to be a new beta version.

Going to annoy those that want to be able to change the output from Roon.

2 Likes

Aaaaannd…they went ahead and upgraded the 2.31.7 to production release without fixing the issues. USB still not working in Roon Exclusive mode, there is still a runtime bug in the DSD settings where both the selections 512 and “error” persist, and it’s still offering 5.1 and 7.1 channel layouts despite the fact that the ZS doesn’t support this.

But as I’ve mentioned previously, if you keep the device in AIO mode and select “256” for the max DSD sampling rate, everything is working fine.

Would not be surprised if his upgrade was a snafu on ifi’s part; they’ve released production releases still in beta by mistake before. We’ll surely see…

2 Likes

Yes I agree and I am doing the same as you in AIO mode
It’s a pity as they can never get it all right at the same time.

But I will say I have not had any real issues with this version for the last several days.

2 Likes

I’m not sure which issue this is.

I saw this as well.

Mine defaulted to 2 channel but the 5.1 and 7.1 options are still present so I guess they got it half right.

In Roon exclusive mode everything is disabled but Roon and it sets the output to SPDIF and it cannot be changed.

You can change it in AIO mode back to USB using the web page or iFI app. Just makes it difficult for anyone using the dedicated Roon mode with USB output.

Is this a Roon settings or iFi setting?

If you set the wheel on the back of the ZS to setting 2, which is their “Roon Exclusive” mode and turns off all internal software in the unit other than the Roon Transport (allegedly to reduce “software jitter”), the USB output on the ZS is disabled, and you can only operate via the coax output.

Nevertheless, you can turn off all unneeded sources in the ZS GUI (NAA, Sharepoint/Airplay, Tidal, Spotify etc) and this overrides the dial setting anyway. I think the hardware option on the back was a bit of nonsense and unnecessary, but nevertheless, before the firmware update to Roon Ready status things were working fine. Somewhere in the update they managed to brick the dial and inactivate the USB output, and I think they should have fixed this before certifying this latest release. The product as-is has a major feature (the dial) that is not working at all.

3 Likes

iFI Zen Stream using the Dial on the back of the Stream. It’s meant to keep the device as efficient as possible by shutting down every process that isn’t needed (which is a laudable idea).

With the old Roon bridge solution you could select either output option in Roon, but with the new Roon Ready software you can no longer do this.
Hopefully this makes sense

1 Like

Snap 🫰 :grin:
(10 char)

1 Like

Ah ok I’ve never used that dial since it was my understanding that mode the web GUI is not available either?

1 Like

This is true.
I used it to test early but heard no real benefit.
Better for me just to turn off everything I did not need

1 Like