Node Gen 3 + USB Output + SMSL Dac + MQA

If you are just using the Node as an ethernet to USB roon endpoint, you could get that with different equipment, like a raspberry pi.

If you can return the Bluesound get an RPi (if you can find one & don’t mind flashing SD cards) or iFi Zen Stream. Another option would be to just use the Bluesound’s DAC.

As I understand it, the device setting for the Node within Roon (for usb DAC connection) should be ‘renderer only’ and the core decoder setting should be set to ‘yes’.

1 Like

Only if you want Roon to do the decode. It is not a requirement. I prefer the Node to do it all.

what happens if you disable replay gain?

I thought the advice I mentioned was from Bluesound, specifically to avoid dropouts and problems when using external DAC and MQA ? Maybe they updated it.

That’s how the thread starter had it set initially (look at his screenshots above) and still experienced the problem.

Bluesound acknowledged a problem with MQA via USB to an outboard DAC. That’s the point I’m making. It may well not be fixed.

I also experience the problem with the bluesound node(130). I own a Naim XS3 and a Fidelity audio power supply with reference pc board. I connected my Denafrips pontus 2 to the Bluesound via USB. Unfortunately random clicks and plops. I run on Qobuz and Roon. Settings as indicated by Roon do not work for me. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Are you having problems with Qobuz? That service works flawlessly for me. My problems are with Tidal. How good is your internet bandwidth? Have you tried making a coax or toslink connection from the Bluesound to the Denafrips? Sorry I can’t be more help.

Hi Bob, thanks for your quick response! Qubuz always works well for me. The internet is via fiber optic and via utp to my bluesound. I have decided to connect an spdif (is on order). Without Roon, so I don’t experience these problems directly via Qubuz!! Special right? I assume that the Roon does not yet have a solution for this problem with the Bluesound Node via USB… Too bad, does not seem very complicated to me.