NUC assembly in fanless case - USA?

Unless all of one’s rooms are in frequent use by noise-averse members of the household, or your house is open plan, common with modern architecture.

2 Likes

I have both a NUC8i7 and Nucleus+ (2 setups in 2 different locations). The NUC does not make much noise. If I knew what I know now; I would buy the NUC for Roon and be happy.

It is OK to buy a fanless case for NUC, but I’m just asking the question - do you really need it? :slight_smile:

1 Like

My first core was a vanilla NUC. Yes, it makes a difference in an otherwise very quiet space.

1 Like

Do I need it? No. For that matter, I don’t need Roon itself! My networked audio system and well-tagged library do fine without it. However, Roon is an enjoyable luxury. Buying a NUC (rather than leaving my computer on always) is another luxury. So I want to get one I will enjoy having.

As I intensely dislike noise, I’m willing to pay a few hundred dollars more for a fanless NUC, rather than a stock one. Also, my observation has been that fanless gear collects less dust, thus requires less maintenance, than gear with fans.

No one with a hifi system is talking about needs. :slightly_smiling_face: We are just discussing what kind of luxury we appreciate and are prepared to pay for.

7 Likes

Fanless gear collects less dust is a valid statement :+1:

Also noise, but this can be resolved by putting the NUC in a completely different room (if you have that alternative). Usually the ventilation system in a house or apartment generates noise way above the standard NUC (if the NUC is placed at a certain distance from main listening position).

I’m OK with people doing this, I’m just curious to why - and sometime I think people spend a lot of money on something that will not lead to better sound (regarding quality of sound or reduction of noise). For this reason I’m just pointing out certain aspects that should be considered for those that think fanless case is required in all scenarios. It seems like you have already done this; which is good.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.