NUC / ROCK newbie install questions

Yet another question, if I may?

I previously ran Roon on a Mac mini in my audio rack. It was connected to my Samsung TV by HDMI (as is my cable box). If I turn the TV off now, when I turn it back on, the input has automatically switched from the cable box to the NUC/ROCK. Questions:

1. Is this normal? Why?

2. Is there any need to have the NUC connected to a display at all once it is set up?

Thanks - Glenn

ROCK only displays its boot up information, so, unless you have a need to check that, you can probably unplug it. Most ROCK NUCs are designed to run headless (without monitor) after everythign has been setup.

If the NUC is on when you start the TV, the TV probably switches automatically to the external input that has an active signal. (Maybe the cable box is on standby and not sending a signal?). It may be possible to configure this on the TV.

Anyway, you don’t need a display connected to the NUC after setup at all.

Once again, thanks so much for this most helpful information. As you’ve described, the NUC displays only its boot verification information. Therefore, I’ll leave the NUC disconnected from the TV and administer the device (probably a misnomer since, apparently no “administration” is needed) via Roon Remote.

I also note that ROCK seems to become discombobulated (a highly technical term) if Roon Remote is started with the DAC turned off. So the system startup sequence will be:

NUC on (I plan to leave it on continuously - OK?)
DAC on
Power amplifiers on
iPad on
Roon Remote on

If I have anything out of order here please advise.

Thanks again - Glenn

Yes, leaving the NUC on is totally ok. When idle, it probably draws about 6 Watts.

There is very little administration indeed. The few things you can do are through the remote (like setting up backups) and the small rest through Rock’s browser interface. In a web browser, go to http://rock/
Most likely this will work, if your router provides a network name service on the LAN. If you get an “address not found”, the router probably does not provide the name service. In this case, go to your router admin page, find out the rock’s IP address, and use this instead of “rock”, i.e. http://aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd/

Screenshot (note: I renamed “rock” to “roonrock” on my network)

Startup sequence makes sense :+1: