NUC vs Mac Mini - Cost Analysis

I use a 2014 Mac Mini I put a SSD. When it dies I will get a M2 Mac mini at $599. I run the Roon server software on it and it works wonderfully.

A looked into a NUC but it seems like it’s more money. Maybe its advantage is there is only Roon Rock running on it not the rest of the processing.

5 Likes

Mini is a valid option but there are two points tipping the scale to a NUC for many like me:

• Can run ROCK which is zero maintenance and does nothing else than running Roon optimally
  • Can be made/bought completely fanless

That said, macOS is a fine OS that doesn’t require a lot of maintenance and the Mini fans are very silent

4 Likes

Another against is you can’t make them headless without an adaptor I think as the GPU is inactive without a connection but it’s not expensive. So not a major deterrent.

2 Likes

$599 is not a huge risk, why not give it a go? Make sure you run Roon Server if a GUI isn’t required, disable Spotlight, App Store automatic updates, etc, and enable file sharing for copying music over.

1 Like

One more disadvantage. You can’t upgrade it once bought. So if you do require more ram due to library bloat then you might run aground. Nuc you can easily upgrade. So if getting a Mac mini I would spend more and get more ram as Roons a memory hog.

2 Likes

lol, don’t get me going on that one again - no one believed me when it came up before I will be the canary in the coal mine...for you (M2 Pro Mac Mini) - #4 by mikeb

1 Like

I’m waiting to see some Roon with 8GB/16GB comparisons, the Mini’s SSD is blazingly fast, page swaps are instant, many reviews say 8GB is fine (but they don’t test Roon)

We have some at work they we needed to have something plugged in to make them work these went m1 I doubt much has changed.

True, Roon gobbles ram on what ever it’s on. My iPhone struggles all the time with it. Drives me mad as it’s constantly being suspended.

For me this is the biggest advantage.

With ROCK/Roon OS you’ve got a device running an OS that you effectively never need to login in to update, it just looks after itself like an appliance. If you need to reboot it you can do that via the RoonOS web interface.

With a MacMini (assuming you don’t have or want a monitor and keyboard attached permanently) you’ll need a way to remotely login to it to periodically approve OSX updates and possibly deal with general OSX notifications and pop-ups from time to time. Not a major dealbreaker, but something worth considering.

Also no need for a brand new NUC, an older used model will be fine, especially if you’re planning to hide it away in another room or closet.

Conversely I guess a MacMini is better (visually) if you’re planning to attach it directly to your amp or DAC via USB and hence have it on permanently display.

2 Likes

It seems to me tha the Mac world has better hardware maintenance options than the NUC/Linux world. If your server breaks, you can take it to the Apple store for repair.

2 Likes

Experience building Rock on NUC is invaluable. Adding memory and expanding storage, and troubleshooting are all within reach. However, Macs may require Apple intervention.

1 Like

postscript. Building locks on the NUC is no big deal.

Drop a generation or two on NUC and compare prices - Roon doesn’t need a high level of future proofing

3 Likes

This was true with intel Macs, and silicon running through Rosetta. Since 2.0 and the native arm app, Roon on Apple silicon is quite stable.

Rock on nuc is great.

On one hand you’ve got 5 fingers (well 4 and one thumb) and on the other hand… you’ve got another five! :roll_eyes: :thinking:

There are definite pros and cons to each.

1 Like

I think VNC will work without problems …

Personally, I would never buy a Mac to run Roon. For two reasons.

One is that Apple has gotten more and more averse to anything not invented by Apple, and they are making it harder and harder to run third-party software that they haven’t “blessed”. In the name of security and privacy, and they have a point, but it’s gone too far for my taste.

The other is that Roon is built on top of .NET, a Windows platform that Microsoft tries very hard to make work on macOS – but Apple doesn’t always seem to be cooperating with with Microsoft’s efforts.

1 Like

I think I remember screen sharing came out around 2008, I’m using it since then without a problem

I bought m1 mini for audio and because I’m 97% on apple comps for years. After 2 moths I found about roon and had the trial. the mini works as a roon core. I do not mind small bugs. On the other hand ROCK is made for Roon so if it can be simpler why not. Now I’m just waiting for the mini to die or to find another use for it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I started with Roon on a Mac Mini and was very happy. But I was running Linux on it, not macOS. The hardware is nifty; it’s just the Apple policies that have started to get in the way.

2 Likes

This is definitely becoming more true with Ventura. An example of this and an explanation most can understand has been well presented by the developer of A better finder rename.

https://youtu.be/6w0AhNNXrus?t=146

1 Like