NUC11PAKI5 Support

Peter I read that as a general comment that Windows sucks, rather than Roon on Windows sucks.

As someone that uses all modern OS platforms I think Windows 10 is their best effort. Not a fan of Windows 11, it might be much better when it is finished :roll_eyes:

I still think Outside of Rock itā€™s the easiest way for a user to get started with Roon on a NUC.

I was going to say Windows 10 too, but decided not to. I turned off TPM just to avoid accidental / forced upgrade to Windows 11.

I use Linux at work daily.

1 Like

Peter

Steve Gibson (Never 10 and Shields UP) has a new tool called In Control you might want to try.
Looks perfect to alloy you to set your platform and version.
We used Never 10 on a number of machines in the office, but sadly not enough, and came into a number of machines that were completely screwed because of the software on them just didnā€™t work on Windows 10.

You might want to try this out GRCĀ |Ā InControlĀ Ā 

1 Like

I recently upgraded my Roon Rock (Version 1.8 (build 903) stable) to the 11th. generation Intel CPU ( i7-11700) and motherboard (Asus Prime H510M-A/CSM). I was expecting some issues with installing Rock since it is known not to support the 11th. gen. NUC. Rock does not work with UEFI, and requires Legacy BIOS.

Indeed, at first, Rock would not install, or run (I tried running a disk with a prior Rock installation from a compatible PC). I expected to be able to simply change the BIOS settings from UEFI to CSM (a.k.a., Asus legacy mode), as Iā€™d done before on other systems (including Rock). However, the CSM option was greyed out (unavailable) in the Asus BIOS. I was stumped. Why? I went back to the Asus support website and found out that the problem is with the Intel 500 series chipsets. These chipsets are only compatible with UEFI when using the integrated graphics mode.

I solved the problem by installing an very basic, old, passively-cooled Radeon card in the PCI-e slot. That allowed me to change the BIOS settings from UEFI to CSM (Legacy), and install Rock properly. Itā€™s been running beautifully so far, with substantial performance improvements over my previous machine (an older Core i5 based system). It strikes me as an unnecessarily complicated workaround, but, apparently, thatā€™s what Asus now officially recommends if you want to use their CSM mode.

Still, I think it would be best if Roon Rock supported UEFI. I hope it happens soon, so people can start using the 11th. generation Intel platform (including the NUC) without resorting to inelegant workarounds.

4 Likes

Based on feedback from Danny there some network driver issues that he is working through.
Hopefully he gets through them and we can enjoy Rock on UEFI hardware without enabling Legacy mode.
Itā€™s become ever more tricky for users to change the settings, though your workaround is neat

1 Like

Yeah, that would be terrific. I am sure he will sort it out.

1 Like

General comment:

Windows is:

• Bloated
  • Windows costs money
  • Closed source
  • Resource heavy
  • Runs indexing regularly which slows down CPU
  • Provides Bill Gates more Wealth

Linux:

• Stability
  • Free
  • Linux foot print
  • Works better on all computers, and supports more platforms
  • Unbloated
  • Open source
  • Fast
  • Lots of OS distroā€™s
  • Large community support
  • Etc

Hello @danny,
It has been a month since our last talk.
Any news from network driver?
Seems like itā€™s not only me who is suffering for new configurations.

All the best,
Oskar

For the 11th. gen Intel platform to work with Roon ROCK OS, it would need to allow legacy BIOS. It seems that Intel decided not to support legacy BIOS any longer, so we are going to have to wait for the next major release of Roon ROCK OS (and UEFI support) before we can even boot into it.

1 Like

Does anyone have a clue about NUC 11 support soon? Many thanks!

Install Ubuntu, then install Roon server.
Job done