Nucleus owners, sell me on a Nucleus

Well, I think you’re also suggesting that they borrow the state of mind which would allow them to mislead themselves into believing that they could hear a difference.

This kind of planted axiom is my chief objection to this kind of suggestion. Experiments are done to refute or confirm hypotheses. If the hypothesis under test is nonsensical a priori, I would see no value in performing the pointless experiment.

2 Likes

I would see value in the experiment if the parties making the claims provided the test setup consisting of two Nucleuses, one with stock PS and one with LPS, two Roon licenses, and sufficient staff to perform the blind test.

“I’ll make any outlandish claim and believe it until YOU prove the opposite” is not how it’s done, though, including in other areas, because for obvious reasons that can never work. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You have failed to follow my purposefully ninja like posts.

My position is not that all computers or servers necessarily sound alike. But I have no issue with those who think differently.

My reference to such is poking fun at the tried and true circular arguments found in threads such as this.

Oy… I wasn’t suggesting that was your position as I am following, I object to the suggestion that that was posited by anyone here.

1 Like

Couple of considerations:
1- A Nucleus or NUC with ROCK provides an appliance-like experience: I value that quite a bit
2- Nucleus/NUC work best when playing over the network - the quality out of the USB output can depend on the DAC attached
3- Nucleus/NUC is not really a place to rip - you should use your mac for this

If you’re at all technically inclined I would recommend a NUC over a Nucleus as it is much cheaper, smaller, and if you’re playing over the network (which I would recommend) it can be put anywhere away from the audio system.

4 Likes

My comments weren’t so literal. It was a chiding way to redirect the conversation away from rodeos and towards the normal lunacy.

Well, that’s your potential loss, not mine.
Back to the music!

I have a NUC running ROCK (Roon Optimized Core Kit), less expensive than Nucleus and works like a charm.

1 Like

How does such computer generated noise traverse an Ethernet connection ?

I think the point has been made it’s a non issue with the Nucleus.

Even there. I’d suggest that if a difference was detected, the most probable hypothesis would be that the difference was insufficiently hidden from the test subjects. The best test would also remove the wildly variable and unrepeatable instrument of human hearing from the experiment.

And really, it’s pointless. What is it people think happens to the current fed into a digital computer with an external power supply? What happens is that it’s fed directly into a PMIC, a power management integrated circuit, which turns it into a set of switched-mode voltages to power the various components of the computer. Yes, and to power the USB hubs, if the computer has any. So it’s all switched-mode power anyway in the places where the misinformed think that it’s important.

The Raspberry Pi, for instance, uses this chip. If you look at the data sheet there, you’ll see “1MHz to 2.1MHz switching frequency”. You’ll also see that it contains four “buck regulators”, each of which is a switching regulator, to produce the various voltages the computer uses internally.

So all this guff about putting linear power supplies on digital computers (or any Raspberry Pi or equivalent audio devices) does not accomplish the linear effects the clueless are hoping for. Computers are not built with vacuum tubes anymore, and zeppelins no longer moor atop the Empire State Building.

4 Likes

Fully agree about power supplies
I
When I did incorporate the same external power supply you mention to my Inteli5 NUC in which I have instslled ROCK roon the increase in sound quality was impresive.

Clearly computer noise and lack of isolation contaminate flow of bits in roon
Much much better quality with s dedicated intel i5 or i7 Nuc in which you install ROCK to run Roon
If on top you add a high quality external power supply the difference from using a MAC or PC is astonishing
Investment for a NUCi5 2022 and external power supply is around 1000€ It worth, I assure you it.