Nucleus SQ ethernet

Thanks very interesting. I have CAT 6 in the walls and CAT 7 from the walls and to audio devices and NAS. Sofar no problems.

Well, the year of the CAT. :joy:

3 Likes

Okay, we’ve got conduction and then there’s inductive and capacitive coupling, what else is there to make it myriad ways?
Inductive and capacitive coupling need some alternating current flow to work – what role would your carpet or some other surface play in this scenario?

Guess you’ve not been clued in on what goes into circuitry, wires, electricity. End to end transmission in multiple directions across all components. Moving bits is but the tip of the “iceberg”. It’s why most of us are concerned with getting clean power from our utility, let alone mitigating noise from power supplies in our various components across our interconnected wired “network”. It goes on and on…

More evidence, from AudioQuest’s marketing department:

AudioQuest’s Fog Lifters work so well because of how effectively they address a significant source of misinformation—Radio-Frequency Noise coupled from the floor into audio and AC cables.

A carpet or wood floor, not to mention a concrete floor, might not at first seem like a source of RF Noise, but in fact RF energy is all around us and always wants to go wherever it can find a lower energy state.

Bet you didn’t know that! Lifted veils from my eyes, for sure!

1 Like

How about the biggest “noisemaker” - our room? These are not “Good Vibrations”. It’s all about physics of one kind or another.

Ah, you’ve seemingly moved on from electromagnetic influences, and now are on to those pesky microvibrations, moving cables relative to the Earth’s magnetic field, as well as to the static charge in the carpet?

After 50+ years of audiophilia, I’ve discovered that I won’t know what I’m missing from my home music experience, without eliminating the layers of “noise” I didn’t realize existed. And, unfortunately, it’s often a matter of trial and error. But once it’s gone I suddenly feel so much more immersed in the experience.

1 Like

If I wasn’t satisfied after 5 minutes with my system I would go back to a Walkman. I must have a low tolerance for perfection.

3 Likes

@Susan_Tyler - are you certain your outlets are properly grounded?

1 Like

These are common-mode noise sources, and the Ethernet specification deals with this by using differential signalling, i.e., the twisted pairs that do not use a common ground. Consequently, common-mode noise is not an issue you should be concerned about when using Ethernet.

3 Likes

Yep, as does the production of audiophile gear to address these “problems”. Luckily for me I’m not in the least bit convinced.

5 Likes

Interesting. “Common mode” noise, at least high frequency distortion, is potentially still a problem in the execution of Ethernet cabling. Seems that attacking this problem helps in delivering a more silent background. At least that’s been my experience in my quest for better network links.

How is that?

Travels across all conductors. So, a goal for a manufacturer is to mitigate this. Each manufacturer will come up with its own approach. Some attack this with filtering.

I believe the point of this topic was to help the OP, not berate one another.

6 Likes

I don’t think you understand how common-noise presents itself in electronic circuits. With a common ground, when transmitting a signal over distances, wires may act as antennas, or even emitters. For instance, analogue cables between a DAC and pre-amp.

In this example noise, which presents as a voltage, is mitigated by using a shield.

For Ethernet, there is no ground. Differential signalling is used, and this sends the same signal over both wires, but with polarity reversed. Therefore, when noise is present, it is produces a common-mode signal that can be cancelled by the receiver by detecting the difference. Therefore, in digital circuits such noise is not an issue.

Incidentally, this is not the same as a balanced circuit used in audio.

3 Likes

@Vincent_Kennedy There is a PSaudio power regenerator plugged into the outlet, and everything is then plugged into it.

1 Like

So, chokes are useless I suppose.

Of course not… in analogue circuits.