Nucleus SQ ethernet

Thank you. Mine looks like this. I hope it is doing the right thing and I will observe it if it starts sounding poor.

1 Like

From that signal path, HQPlayer is being used as a passthrough with no signal processing. From your system description, the LinQ is sending I2S via the Platinum CAT 8 cable to your Formula DAC. From this and the discussion so far, Iā€™d look at the Aqua components and their connection for any issues, given that from the point of view of the Nucleus, the whole Aqua side is just a Roon endpoint.

The use of Ethernet cables for I2S communication between streamers and DACs is highly non-standard and potentially noise-prone because I2S was not designed for signal integrity over long external wiring. Iā€™ve owned a Metrum setup with a similar streamer>DAC connection, and I was very careful to route the connecting Ethernet cable well away from power cables. Yes, I know that Ethernet cables have some common-mode noise rejection (twisted pairs), but again thatā€™s only tested for standard Ethernet signals, not for I2S.

1 Like

Thank you. I donā€™t actually know how to do anything with HQPlayer. It sounds better going this way than through the RAAT module.

The cable from LinQ to DAC is 1 metre. Shorter would, I gather, be better, but it didnā€™t come shorter. Difficult to keep much distance from power cables but can try.

1 Like

Did Aqua recommend a CAT 8 cable between LinQ and DAC? Reason I ask is that CAT 8 is electrically different from a standard CAT 6 Ethernet cable, and that might make a difference. But from everything so far, my guess is that thereā€™s some bug in the Aqua gear that causes it to go into a lower-quality state after a while. The LinQ contains computing modules and their firmware, and we all know from experience that some of our computers need periodic rebooting. They should not, but they do.

1 Like

Will investigate. Thank you.

My ethernet runs to an eero router and and then a Cord 8Switch. Ethernet then from the switch to the Roon Nucleus and my dCS Bartok. All done up neatly with Wireworldā€™s best ethernet and an AudioQuest Diamond. After reading about shields and grounds, ordered a set of Blue Jeans Cat five cables for the whole works. Cheap and good quality. Wow, A nice increase in SQ and quieter. Anybody want my fancy cables cheap?

Welcome to the real world. Better late than never. :grin:

Make a package deal and throw in your audiophile switch.

(Sorry, couldnā€™t stop myself)

3 Likes

Can you tell me why Cat5 rather than 6? I can buy the BJC Cat6 from Amazon, which is easier for me for shipping.

Cat6 is perfectly fine. Just not cat7 or cat8.

2 Likes

Iā€™m using CAT5e and it works fine with gigabit, which is enough bandwidth for audio.

I get that CAT 7/8 cables may create ground loop issues, but wondering if the issue is overstated. I use a combination CAT 7 and 8 cables and do not experienced issues. I never compared to CAT 5 or 6, but if you can get a better shielded cable for the same price, why not? Why would an audiohile cable manufacturer design a cable, that will cause noise issues? If it was such a big issue then surely boutique audio manufacturers woukd stick to CAT6. Just curious

1 Like

I also did tests with CAT 7 & 8 cables and I didnā€™t have any problems in my system, but I didnā€™t find any difference either.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s also the ā€œnumbers gameā€ to be played, some folk wouldnā€™t be happy with CAT6 knowing 7 and 8 were available?

4 Likes

I need 2 X CAT 6a Ethernet cable between:

• Linn Selekt DSM
  • QNAP HS264

to my Cisco switch.

As understand from the discussions I need a ā€œunshielded and passed certificationā€ cable.

I would be thankful for any suggestions.

THX :slight_smile:

Torben

TBH you probably canā€™t go too wrong with an Amazon Basics cable, cheap and tend to be to spec.

4 Likes

This is not a recommendation but just an observationā€¦
I actually use a number of Amazon sourced cat7 cables between my switch and the components themselvesā€¦as at the time of purchase I didnā€™t know any different and as @killdozer so succinctly statedā€¦bigger numbers are better right :sunglasses:

Honestlyā€¦it causes me zero issues but also I seriously doubt there is any uptick from them.
As they ainā€™t causing me any grief I have not been bothered to replace them.

I would buy cat6 now if needed though.

5 Likes

I donā€™t believe BlueJean Cableā€™s Ethernet cable is made in house, but they are tested to spec, so BlueJean Cable.

US only :slight_smile: Not available in the EU

I think thatā€™s what they had at the time. Cables were made by Belden for them. As the CAT numbers and frequency handling capacity goes up, the cables require shielding. Thatā€™s the culprit.

Nice try triple Xā€¦ and I wonā€™t ask about your moniker.
I love my 8Switch so it stays put. Nicely made for reasonable cost vs the stuff for computers. They get goofy money for other audiophile units that really seem to work no better.