Odroid C2 HiFi Shield, DietPi and HQP NAA

This is not fatal problem and happens due to kernel configuration…

@jussi_laako - you are correct, I don’t mind this personally, but it could be a problem if you integrate the NAA into a full DAC solution.
I have NAA (BBB Botic) -> Hermes -> Cronus -> I2S -> DAM 1021 and I’m loving it. Works great at PCM384 (I don’t use the DSD option of the DAC - it seems weird to do it on a R2R DAC). I have the battery installed and all and it works great, because I can shut the DAC down and BBB gracefully shuts down shortly.
However, I was planning on doing s similar thing for DSC1 (preferably DSC2, when it comes out):
NAA (Odroid C2) -> Reclocker (I am on GB for Ian’s) -> I2S -> DSC1/2. I would rather not have to restart this from time to time.

Long story short: do you know which kernel parameters are affecting this? If I have to - I’ll recompile the kernel, though I’m not looking forward to doing this :slight_smile:

Assuming you are running networkaudiod as root or as user that has sufficient permissions through audio-group.
It is the cgroups / group scheduling. If your system has systemd, you need to have cgroups for it to boot up, but you only need to have the most minimal cgroups support enabled, no group scheduling or other process controls.

1 Like
root@odroidc2:~# ps aux | grep networkaudiod
root       937  5.6  0.4  18360  7100 ?        S<Lsl 16:23  23:43 /usr/sbin/networkaudiod
root      4828  0.0  0.0   4280   904 pts/0    S+   23:20   0:00 grep --color=auto networkaudiod

I am running it as root on vanilla Armbian 64 (Ubuntu Xenial):

Linux odroidc2 3.14.79-odroidc2 #20 SMP PREEMPT Fri Dec 30 18:46:17 CET 2016 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

I suspect the default configuration during install has set the nice-ness to -10:

PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND
  937 root      10 -10   17976   6736   1696 S  17.0  0.4  24:27.54 networkaudiod

Finally, the dirty secret is that I used the stretch deb packages from your repo - there are no Ubuntu packages for ARM Xenial in your repo.

I hope that helps.

Do you have a link or location of the the specific image that worked on the C2?

So is it possible to use Odroid C2 as a NAA? I don’t know much about Linux. I just installed Ubuntu Mate on C2, but failed to install the Network Audio Daemon, Xenial from HQP website, due to wrong ARM architecture. What should I do then?? Thank you.

@Ringo_Hung please check this post and for more information - the thread it belongs to:

I used this option to make it work about 6 months ago and I’m quite happy: I’m streaming Roon -> HQPlayer at DSD512. It works flawlessly. For comparison, I get “turntable pops” when I’m using sMS-200 even at DSD256.
Also, I cannot find any audible degradation of sound when using Odroid C2 vs the supposedly superior SOTM device at lower bitrates (where pops do not occur), so I gave up trying to make it work.

Let me know if I can help further.

Not currently in DietPi, as we lack the ARMv8 binaries for NAA Daemon:

Resurrecting an old thread as my set up is virtually the same and I have not been able to play DSD files (either original DSD or HQP upsampled DSD through to the NAA)…is there a configuration I need to make in Dietpi to ‘switch’ on’ DSD files?

I have been upsampling and playing DSD files using HQP on a PC and SOTM sms-200 for some time . It works perfectly. But I’ve been inspred by these threads and the fact that I’d like to experiment with removing USB from my audio chain. So…

• I bought an ODroid C2
  • I have a hat made by IANCANADA from diyaudio which enables DSD and PCM output to pure I2S stream which I can hook straight into my DAC.

So, I can get PCM upsampling perfectly and it sounds fabulous. But I cannot get HQPlayer to recognise that the NAA and DAC should be able to accept DSD.

I am assuming that I haven’t configured something in dietpi correctly. When I looked at the soundcard settings, there were three options, HDMI, hifi-shield plus and hifi shield 2. When I choose the hifi-shield option I get perfect PCM…but how do I get DSD?

Thanks for any help you can give!
Crom