Ok, Don't Flame Me. Settings to sound like Audirvana?

Thanks for that list - I bought everything.

3 Likes

It is a sweet little device for about $77. I use one connected with ethernet and one with WIFI with no issues.

Debating whether to get the 7" screen…

Then, don’t get the FLIRC case. I thought about getting the screen, but I always have my laptop as Roon control device, so the screen would serve no purpose for me.

Wait. What? Can I control the Pi without connecting an external monitor?

Yes. Your computer, NUC, or Nucleus runs Roon core. Your RPi4 connected to your DAC is your end-point. Then, you control it all with a computer, iPhone, iPad, or Android device or all of them.

1 Like

Yes from any Roon Control device: PC, Mac, iPad, Tablet, iPhone or Android phone.

Before purchasing kit, please have a good read of the Roon Knowledge Base that I posted earlier … I know it means some reading but it will make this all a lot clearer for you.

1 Like

But for setup of the Pi I assume I’d need to connect a monitor, right? Then just unhook?

No, but you do need to connect the Pi using ethernet. Then use your computer to connect via your network to the Pi to choose a couple of options and save. After that, you can keep the Pi connected via ethernet or WIFI, but you will never need to connect anything to the Pi but ethernet, and your USB out to DAC.

1 Like

Now what happens if I decide I want to listen to Audirvana or Foobar or something like that? How will I access the DAC connected to the Pi?

If you’re running RoPieeeXL, then you can use DLNA.

How would I do that generally?

Isn’t Airplay Apple?

You’re right. Deleted my post. But, you can use Airplay to stream from you iPhone or iPad to your RPi4 if you ever have a reason to do that.

I don’t use anything but Roon for music, so this is off the top of my head.

Here are the DLNA settings -

Now, that my curiosity is piqued I’m going to test it with JShiver.

1 Like

Interested to hear what you find. Haven’t pulled the trigger on the Pi yet. Want to make sure I can still send to the DAC with other services. Traveling at the moment so can’t research too much.

This is not Roon specific but you can use RoPieee XL to access the Pi via other services:

Diet-Pi can do the same but it’s more of a select the right things and install which has a little bit higher learning curve and requires ssh login instead of web like RoPieee.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification on Diet-Pi because I was reading that was another solution. Sounds like Xl is the way to go.

And the RoPieee developer (@spockfish) hangs out on this forum most days.

2 Likes

It’s worth letting go of the belief that lossless is lossless. Each of these programs are very complicated. How they are programmed to process sound varies by the author. What you’ll find pleasing varies according to you.