Ok, Don't Flame Me. Settings to sound like Audirvana?

Try using DSP to convert everything to DSD 64 or 128. DSD has a “sweet” slightly euphoric quality.

1 Like

That sounds like an excellent idea. Is that under Sample Rate Conversion? Can’t find where to do that…

Hit the volume icon for you zone (lower right corner). DSP is one of the choices.
Then go to sample rate conversion.

Ok. But I don’t see anything about converting everything to DSD…

Sample Rate Conversion. The pull down (under For Compatibility Only) will offer DSD. That brings up other options on how you want to do it.

Oh. It may be because your endpoint doesn’t allow it. My Ropieee doesn’t give a DSD option…

Ah, crap! 2020-07-11_205307

I could try running it through the Bluesound Node first.
EDIT: Nevermind. Can’t change anything when sending to Bluesound.

Weird. Why goes the endpoint disallow DSD when the DAC supports it? It’s just passing the stream through? Or is it a driver issue on Linux?

Well anyway you might find a windows endpoint just to give it a try?

I can get it to work if I use HQplayer (eval copy). Will give it a listen tomorrow.

Soundchasr. I do non MQA from Tidal, upscaling to DSD512 via ROCK - Router - ALLO Signature Bridge - Project Pre S2 DAC…Of course Native DSD playback from 64 to 512…Sounds way better
About the topic that…ROON doesn’t sound good…is the reason I was spending the money to do HQ Player 2 weeks ago…Setup is then: ROCK - Router - HQ Player - ALLO Signature Bridge - Project Pre S2 DAC Now we’re talking GREAT sound in my system…HQ Player has huge avangtage with all those filter and noise shaping to actually made the bits to fit the DAC own filters settings…ROON doesn’t have that
Btw…Have ROON for 3 years

1 Like

I suspect James typed “euphonic” but the autocorrect seems apt for a thread about Audirvana :crazy_face:.

HQPlayer is a whole ‘nother kettle of fish as they say. If you have trouble setting it up, there is an active section in Audio Products/HQPlayer that can help.

I like the ext2 filter when upsampling to DSD in HQPlayer, YMMV.

1 Like

Yep. That’s Apple trying to butt it’s head back into audio! I would give DSD a try though.

1 Like

Trying to resist buying HQplayer just to make Roon sound better. Seems …not right…

1 Like

More than that! If you are hearing big differences between Audirvana and Roon, you either have amazing aural acuity or some ultra revealing system. Seems to me adding HQPlayer to this mix would be like dropping acid!

LOL. I don’t think I have amazing aural acuity or a very revealing system. If you search around there are a lot of people (I don’t know what a lot is in numbers) that think the same thing.

I think the issue must lie elsewhere. I have a node 2 and hear no difference between using Bluesound streaming and Roon, I hear no difference in streaming via upnp to my Naim system or via Roon. I also used Audivarna via upnp although it’s flakey at seeing endpoints again I head no difference on my Naim system. In my experience all of them sound the same using the same method of sending the audio data.

It depends on your source, endpoint, DAC, etc. Audirvana can make poor sounding sources sound really wonderful. A trick Roon has shown no interest in doing as it prefers you get a better source / endpoint.

1 Like

It actually makes a ton of sense. https://www.signalyst.com/about.html
Signalyst are the developers of the filters within HQPlayer. It’s all that company does both consumer, commercial, and custom. It makes perfect sense that a company focused completely on extracting the very best from digital audio would be able to outperform Roon.

Well, Signalyst is one man, but he has a very good grasp of digital signal processing.

1 Like

But the problem the OP has (and has had through 160 posts) is that without any signal processing, one ‘bit perfect’ player sounds different than another ‘bit perfect’ player. He then went to the trouble of doing separation of endpoint from core and still claims this problem.
I do not understand how there can be such a difference. I agree with the OP that it sounds crazy to have to buy another app to ‘fix’ a stream. But then, people do all kinds of stuff on the analog side to ‘fix’ upstream problems so everything sounds good again. I guess just because it is digital doesn’t mean it is more logical.