Parametric eq over 20kHz

Hi,

Unless Roon is truncating the Audio Band from 20-20KHz it should be easy to test this.

Pretty match, you would need:

1. system capable to reproduce outside of the 20KHz
  2. Roon & Roon server

And Do:
On the first step you would play a DSD or a Hi Res file that has content over 20KHz

Note down what you hear and feel

Then put a low pass x-over @ 20KHz with 32db/oct slope on the Roon DSP, and play the same music.

Note down what you hear and feel

Repeat this steps a couple of times to make shore. AnƔlise the results at the end. Can also be done blind folded, just to be fair.

Fil

You need double-blind testing or it doesnā€™t mean a thing.

Must also be done blind folded, just to be meaningful.

Our ears are sensitive to pressure waves of I guess any frequency that can propagate through air, fluids and bone and membranes in so far as we can be fatigued by it and even have our hearing damaged by it. What we lack however is the tuned hair cells to specifically detect those frequencies and convey messages to the brain.

Given that all of these hair cells are basically band filters, I can imagine modulations of different ultrasonic frequencies resulting phantom frequencies (or beat tones) that would activate hairs cells and thus be perceived as in band frequencies.

I donā€™t however believe we could perceive single ultrasonic tones as anything more than a sense of ear fatigue or light pressure.

2 Likes

For what itā€™s worth, when listening upsampled DSD tracks - for some reason my right ear ā€œsensesā€ something and I end up with an earache halfway of the song =( Doesnā€™t happen with Hi-Res PCM tracks, thoughā€¦ so weird.

I think thatā€™s what Iā€™m experiencing, fatigue/pressure and if my ear is prone to sensibility, thatā€™s why. I guess Iā€™ll have to cut back my listening to a 48khz track haha.

Right. Just as I would not stand in the path of an oncoming Tesla. Duh.