Perhaps RME could benefit from a linear power source? After all ... :-)

And is not kept up at night by coil whine.

1 Like

Sort of yes, see the product page:
https://www.cui.com/product/external-ac-dc-power-supplies/desktop/sdm65-u-series

I earlier used Meanwellā€™s medical grade PSUs, but these CUI ones are quite a bit better (measured noise spectrum).

That one costs $30 BTW - if you buy only one.

Please donā€™t flame me! Iā€™m just reporting what I actually heard. I purchased a used AKM version of the RME ADI DAC-2-FS about two months ago. When I first got it, I was using it with an IFI fancy switching power supply that cost about $110 thinking it was still better than the Smps that comes with the rme even though they say it is a good supply. I honestly could tell no difference between the two products and I went back/forth multiple times playing the same test tracks. I went ahead and purchased a linear power supply from Teddy Pardo as I also ā€œbelievedā€ I heard improvements with LPS on my sonictransporter and Ultrarendu so wanted to try same on the RME DACā€¦and the improvements in sound quality were frankly obvious within seconds of firing it up! Definitely not going back to the power supply that came with the RME and I returned the iFi product to amazon! My experience onlyā€¦your mileage may vary! So dont think I will leap to the RME LPS but I do think an LPS helped my RME dac somehow/someway!
Thanks
Doug

Yeah, as I said it is not even expensiveā€¦

So it didnā€™t come with the original factory power supply?

No, it did. I just immediately thought that the iFi might sound better so I purchased it and it arrived a couple days after I had gotten the DAC. I then went back-and-forth between the two and didnā€™t notice the difference so the Ifi went back and ordered the teddy Pardo, which definitely was better to my ears than either the power supply that came with the RME and the IFi Power X product. The RME ps is in the box! The new RME LPS looks fancy but likely more than I Want to spend.
D

1 Like

So it makes total sense for them to bite the bullet and build their own PSU ā€œupgradeā€?

I have bought 3 for different dacs/NAAs itā€™s great!!

It can be beneficial for the Pro version when you use the ADC with lowest noise floor possible. There are certainly cheaper solutions for the stock power supply issues if you have them, but this is one from a reputable vendor. If you donā€™t know if you need it, you donā€™t need it. Like you donā€™t need the Babyface if the M6 does what you need.

2 Likes

Itā€™s funny that the BabyFace is bus-powered. But of course, you could also use a $1K external PSU with it.

1 Like

Intona makes nice USB isolators that I useā€¦ (I donā€™t have a Babyface though)

Right, I meant the Pro version of the DAC. Any news on RME DPS-2 (Page 2) ā€” ADI-2 & 2/4 Pro series, ADI-2 DAC series ā€” RME User Forum

Car batteries are not like linear PSUs really.

Linear PSUs commonly do a crap job of RF filtering, whereas SMPS require it.

Unlike linear PSUs, batteries allow you to decouple completely from any and all AC related issues.

Great for eliminating ground loop paths in complex studio setups - which is why some use them in studios.

Linear PSUs donā€™t help or could even harm , in terms of adding ground loop paths.

1 Like

There are LPSā€™s and there are LPSā€™s. Some are certainly better than the others. Same goes for SMPS.

Yes, it is not always most convenient method, so I understand that it is not for everybody. For those cases suitable LPS may be better option. Like Iā€™ve done myself.

In my case I got rid clearly audible birdsong coming out of my tweeters by switching from SMPS power brick to an LPS. And sure no problem at all measuring this either.

Biggest issue with SMPS is their ground noise leakage.

Plus my personal issue with many of those having the annoying mechanical whine I mentioned earlier. Similar like many CRT displays in the old days (which I fixed by opening the display and sparying electronics protection lacquer spray on the coils).

It is possible that they did not release it for their digital gear but as a general use LPS. A bit expensive but there are components (amps) where PSU makes all the difference. Not surprisingly in cheaper gear. If you want to hear what Monoprice THX AAA 887 can really deliver buy any decent SMPS, stock SMPS belongs to a garbage binā€¦ Of course it is silly to buy $1k LPS for $300 amp.

1 Like